kvm installation issues

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
fehlix
Developer

Re: kvm installation issues

#11 Post by fehlix »

Brutus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 am You make a vm, you add the ISO file, you select the "snapshot MX-18 x64 Continuum (15 January 2019) line, it starts loading with a lot of [ ok ] lines, ends up on a login manager. Like almost every other Linux distro.
What tools you are using to start the VM? If you can find the generated qemu start line, it would help
to see what drivers are involved.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Brutus

#12 Post by Brutus »

fehlix wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am
Brutus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 am You make a vm, you add the ISO file, you select the "snapshot MX-18 x64 Continuum (15 January 2019) line, it starts loading with a lot of [ ok ] lines, ends up on a login manager. Like almost every other Linux distro.
What tools you are using to start the VM? If you can find the generated qemu start line, it would help
Just virt-manager

fehlix
Developer

#13 Post by fehlix »

Brutus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:35 pm
fehlix wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am What tools you are using to start the VM? If you can find the generated qemu start line, it would help
Just virt-manager
Cool, unfortunately I do not use virt-manager, so I have no idea, what dirvers are involved. The reason I ask about drivers, is that you can start a VM in KVM/Qemu such that the disks involved do show up as /dev/vda , /dev/vdb ... instead of /dev/sda, /dev/sdb ....
Some of our tools are not yet prepared to deal with those /dev/vda (para-virtual drives), so it might be needed to verfiy you have classical /dev/sda,.. (virtual-sata/scsii drives) enabled.
When you logged in to the desktop can you run this command from the terminal command line

Code: Select all

lsblk -f
Add do post the text output here (if you have shared-clipboard enabled) or post a screen-dump if you cannot capture the text output.
Thanks
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Brutus

#14 Post by Brutus »

It ended up being an issue with the computer itself. Although looking at the CPU specs, it does support virtualization, it would give problems with other distro's as well. I had the same issues on other computers of the same make/model and different host distro's and different vm's, although others gave different visible issues. I was able to fix it with a BIOS update.

Return to “Installation”