echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
# echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/cpufreq/scaling_governor
# echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/cpufreq/scaling_governor

It seems you have only 2 CPU's.

Richard

Re: CPU speed problem

#12 Post by Richard »

Just to clarify, I read over the thread but not sure if you have enabled intel_pstate.
My /etc/default/grub looks like this at the top of the file:

Code: Select all

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=2
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -s -d 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_pstate=enable"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Change to "intel_pstate=disable" to turn it off. Remember to run "update-grub" if you modify /etc/default/grub.
Enabled slows down to help control overheating when snapshooting --my problem.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

The 4.15 MX kernel runs p_state for default for recent Intel processors, but yours seems to be too old to support that...

Maybe you could uninstall tlp and reboot to see if that makes any difference.

Your BIOS also may have a setting to enable or disable turbo mode on the CPU, so that would would be worth a look.

lalix

#14 Post by lalix »

There must be some kind of general failure. I tried all your suggestions, without success. Then I got angry, so I installed several other distros to see how they handle the cpu. Well, recent Fedora, Manjaro, Vector, openSuse, BunsenLabs shows the same cpu freq of 997Mz whatever I do. However I did'nt tried any Ubuntu based distro, I suppose the same result.
Lenovo T60 - Intel Core 2 T5500, Intel Mobile 945GM, 2.5GB RAM, 60GB HDD
MX 17.1 -> MX-18 Continuum March

baldyeti

#15 Post by baldyeti »

I would check the BIOS for fixed frequency multiplier (10 i/o 16), "Enable Turbo Mode" as suggested by Stevo and perhaps "Enable EIST" (intel SpeedStep)

lalix

#16 Post by lalix »

As an absolute GUI user, the BIOS was my first step, belive me :) There is everything okay.
Actually I don't know if the problem was also there before, because that time there was only 512MB RAM inside and I didn't try to wach films. The only time I can remember when it was really running 1,66GHz, was in the time of Windows XP.
Lenovo T60 - Intel Core 2 T5500, Intel Mobile 945GM, 2.5GB RAM, 60GB HDD
MX 17.1 -> MX-18 Continuum March

linuxsociety

#17 Post by linuxsociety »

I'm new to the forum and just recently picked up MX myself. Don't let that fool you as I have been an experienced Linux User for over 25 years now. I noticed your post and just wanted to try to provide a little support since the Thinkpad T60 is still one of my favorite laptops ever.

You should be using cpufrequtils pkg which provides cpufreq-info and cpufreq-set. Set your bios back to stock settings first if you haven't already done so. Disabling speedstep /dynamic cpu frequency settings in the bios will either get you a stuck minimum Mhz or a stuck Maximum.

cpufreq-info will tell you the current cpufreq and the active cpufreq governor in use. Take note if it is ondemand, performance, or powersave.

If you are unable to use cpufreq-info or it doesn't spit out any useful information, then I will ask have you tinkered with a custom kernel?

If cpufreq-info does in fact spit out the governor in use and the scaling frequencies, then be sure you remember what governor it specifies for each cpu/core. You probably want it to be ondemand, but you may also desire the performance governor as well. Not too many people opt for the powersave governor due to its default settings being quite lazy at increasing the freq while under heavy load.

Manually change the governor by issuing the following command:

sudo cpufreq-set -c0 -g performance;sudo cpufreq-set -c1 -g performance
Be sure you issue the command for both cores (-c switch in the above command indicates the core for which you are setting)

Verify that you have the maximum frequency by running the following two commands:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
and

cpufreq-info
Reboot if this makes it show the desired frequency. Run the above two commands again and see if you are back to square 1. You should be as you didn't make anything permanent yet. If you get this far with success, I'll be glad to help you make this change permanent :)

dimi

#18 Post by dimi »

Hello and thank you a ton for providing this solution.

I am on an Intel Core 2 T5500 on an old ASUS F3J laptop with similar problems. CPU's were being awfully stressed, and I have tried different solutions before. I have tried today your solution by changing the governors and it seems to work. I have ended up with the powersave governor as it seems that is keeping the CPU's calm. Could you please post how I can make it permanent?

Thank you a lot!

I highly appreciate the solution!

dexter___

#19 Post by dexter___ »

hi all regards !!
check swap memory !

$

free
or
$

sudo swapon -s
or

cat /proc/swaps
i have the experience of setup mx 19.2 in a old laptop and when swap is not present or insufficient, freezes in a few programs is executed.

change the gorvernos helps a lot, but in my case the mx linux(debian) never works fine without swap...

if you dont have the partition swap, or if you need to expand, you can create a part swap image file, then you dont need to resizes parts et c..

rgards, i hope to help..

dimi

#20 Post by dimi »

Thank you veeeery much,

Though swap I did a long time ago. The problem was the stress on the CPU. I will keep these settings. If I reboot I will see if it's possible to find a guide to make these settings permanent. I don't expect a lot. It's just that an old machine trying to surf on a bloated internet.

Thank you for your advice though,

Have a nice evening :crossfingers:

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”