MX mention on manjaro forums

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Mauser

Re: MX mention on manjaro forums

#11 Post by Mauser »

handy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:25 pm How can you make a statement like that Mauser?

All you had to do was search the web for "manjaro forum rules":

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Forum_Rules

Manjaro has had forum rules for years now, since its early days. I know, as I was involved in making them.
I could explain why I stated that, but it would violate the 'distro bashing rule" on this forum. While the distro bashing rule is great in one way it's bad in the other way because it allows false positive statements to be posed and it doesn't allow any factual negative reply because it would be considered distro bashing. I will follow the forum rules.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#12 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Thank you for that Mauser. Of course you are free to discuss things among yourselves via PMs if you please. As long as such things are kept off the forums themselves.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Adrian
Developer

#13 Post by Adrian »

Eggnog wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:56 pm I think they dealt with it well. MX is not rolling but it's kind of semi rolling depending on what you mean by semi rolling.
Yep, correct, I think Manjaro and MX have very different "markets".

manyroads

#14 Post by manyroads »

Adrian wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm Yep, correct, I think Manjaro and MX have very different "markets".
I agree @Adrian. I, also, agree with @handy's comment(s). The two forums are quite different in terms of 'tone'. I think a lot of it has to do with the pace of change in each distro (arch's rapid change can be a bit frantic especially when combine with the incredible number of DE's manjaro has under one roof).
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

anticapitalista
Developer

#15 Post by anticapitalista »

It is also due to age IMO.

Manjaro markets itself as being 'dynamic' and 'cool' whereas MX markets itself predominantly for its stability and as a result both are more likely to appeal to different age groups.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

anticapitalista wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:39 pm It is also due to age IMO.

Manjaro markets itself as being 'dynamic' and 'cool' whereas MX markets itself predominantly for its stability and as a result both are more likely to appeal to different age groups.
I'm glad you said that... I could not agree more heartily. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

philotux

#17 Post by philotux »

anticapitalista wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:39 pm It is also due to age IMO.

Good point!

In my case,however, even though I recently, mostly have been using MX, and I really like it very much, I have to say I like Manjaro, equally as much but differently. I guess it's because of me having a bit of bipolar personality :happy:

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

philotux wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:54 pm Good point!

In my case,however, even though I recently, mostly have been using MX, and I really like it very much, I have to say I like Manjaro, equally as much but differently. I guess it's because of me having a bit of bipolar personality :happy:
I don't know about bipolar personality... :footinmouth:

Both distros are to my mind excellent. But I have to say, I personally appreciate & prefer the stability and flexibility of the MX distro and community. But then, I'm just an old cranky guy. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

anticapitalista
Developer

#19 Post by anticapitalista »

Back in the day, when I was a lot younger, I started using MEPIS (not their first release (2003 IIRC), but a beta release soon afterwards sometime in 2004).
MEPIS, then, was new and extremely dynamic (it was even based on Debian Testing in its early days for a while) and as a result it attracted a younger crowd (or so we thought we were - some are still here - you know who you are LOL) and well as seasoned linux users (some are still here - you also know who you are).
As MEPIS developed. it became more focussed on stability and consistency (Debian stable), while other lesser distros back then (Ubuntu) focussed on doing something 'new' and that appealed to the younger generation. MEPIS seemed to be less dynamic, so the cool kids moved on to Arch, kanotix then sidux (me).

However, and this is why I'm proud to say that antiX's roots are with MEPIS, MEPIS has always been a flexible distro (under the hood) with a great community. MX has followed in the same footsteps. Under the hood, MX shares (along with antiX) the same flexibility of which manyroads' MX minimum spin is an example.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Adrian
Developer

#20 Post by Adrian »

I think basing MEPIS on testing was more of an experimentation and necessity (Debian was taking looooooong time to release before Ubuntu started to kick their collective butt) and the move to stable was due to two factor, testing breaking things from time to time and Debian getting with the program and starting to release a bit more reliably. So it was not a change of focus but a result of necessity/environment. (but hey that's just my opinion man)

Return to “General”