MX Ranked #1 by Dedoimedo

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX Ranked #1 by Dedoimedo

#11 Post by Stevo »

It does have long term support. We support the releases as long as Debian supports the base.

figueroa

#12 Post by figueroa »

You are right. I did not see that post when I searched for "dedoimedo" before posting. Of course, said search
found 394 matches and I only looked at the first set of what was found.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

bakedcookie

#13 Post by bakedcookie »

Congratulation

About Dedoimedo, make sure don't get angry when the day he have to criticize. He stay neutral on every distros.
if done well he compliment, if done bad he'd criticize without holding back like Linus Torvalds.
When he criticized something that's because he care about that distro deeply & want the dev to improve.
Otherwise he'd ignore never mention the distro that he disappointed ever again.
There's no benefit for him to review every distros he risk of being attack from distro fanboyz tht can't take his criticism.
When he criticize. Do not get trigger like Debian, Mint community over there that only accept compliment
but can't accept realistic harsh criticism & attack him which is bad sample distro community.

The best distro is the developer happy with compliment & take user's complaint & criticism as bug reports.
Dedoimedo he's like news reporter in linux world he also contribute distowatch database.

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

Dedoimedo reviews of earlier MX versions were not complimentary with many criticisms. So developers of MX have already faced that. Rather than get angry they evaluated the criticisms and incorporated changes in subsequent versions that they felt were warranted. not only Dedoimedo reviews but other reviewers also with neutral reputations. That is one reason why we are where we are today.

Also devs listen to users and many suggestions that have been posted here and FB have been incorporated into MX.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

BitJam
Developer

#15 Post by BitJam »

+1
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

malspa

#16 Post by malspa »

I enjoy reading Dedoimedo's articles and reviews, but the things that are important to him are not always so important to me. Some of the distros he's ripped in reviews have turned out to be very good ones, from my point of view. And some of the ones that he really likes are ones that I have no interest in even trying. He provides a lot of good info, so I can sift through it and decide for myself about whether or not a distro might be a good fit for me. I don't think he cares much for Debian and Arch, which happen to be my two favorites.

He likes Kubuntu 18.04, and that's been a nice release for me, as well. I've had good luck with Kubuntu LTS releases going back to Dapper -- longest run I've had with any distro, actually. Interesting that right now he's staying with Kubuntu for his "production system" even though he puts MX as the best of 2018.

kc1di

#17 Post by kc1di »

A well deserved honor

asqwerth
Developer

#18 Post by asqwerth »

malspa wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 am I enjoy reading Dedoimedo's articles and reviews, but the things that are important to him are not always so important to me. Some of the distros he's ripped in reviews have turned out to be very good ones, from my point of view. And some of the ones that he really likes are ones that I have no interest in even trying. He provides a lot of good info, so I can sift through it and decide for myself about whether or not a distro might be a good fit for me. I don't think he cares much for Debian and Arch, which happen to be my two favorites.

He likes Kubuntu 18.04, and that's been a nice release for me, as well. I've had good luck with Kubuntu LTS releases going back to Dapper -- longest run I've had with any distro, actually. Interesting that right now he's staying with Kubuntu for his "production system" even though he puts MX as the best of 2018.
Yes, I've always thought he put just a bit too much weight on aesthetics.

I respect his thoughts/views on the usability of a distro taken from the perspective of a relative newcomer, because I agree that the layout of a distro should be understandable or easily sussed out. And he doesn't believe in distros where installation and updates require lots of terminal-fu. Fair enough.

MX14 was really fast, low-resource, and worked well. Yes, it was visually plain, maybe even ugly, but in Dedo's review, he was complaining about how the various notification area icons were different sizes or not aligned on the same plane. That seemed to be more important to him than MX14's performance.

PS. On the other hand, his criticisms did make the Devs take more care in how MX looked. To me though, performance should always come first. There are lots of eye candy distros that don't work so well. It is only because the foundation of MX14 was well-laid, that we could slowly focus more on the looks in subsequent releases, while MX Tools just grew and became more amazing over time due to clever thoughts and ideas by the Devs.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Gerson

#19 Post by Gerson »

No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Return to “General”