Request to Members Making Package Requests

For developer discussion on package requests
asqwerth
Developer

Request to Members Making Package Requests

#1 Post by asqwerth »

May I respectfully request of everyone making package requests to:

1. check the MX Test Repo and Debian Backports first to see whether the package/update you want is already in there? This will save on unnecessary posts where users ask for something that has already been packaged. Use the MX Package Installer (MXPI) for the checks. The search function makes it easy to do so.

2. next, do a search of the Package Requests subforums to see if there is an existing Package Request Status thread for the package you want, for the relevant MX release. If so, you can post your request for an update in that same thread instead of making a separate new thread for the same package

3. where the package is not so common and isn't something already in the Debian repos, please give a description in your package requests as to what the package you want does/is, and where the source can be found or at least give a web link that provides more info on it. If you want an update of an existing/known package to be in the MX repos, you could just link to some webpage setting out the main bug fixes/new functions.
Don't just make abrupt one-line posts like: "Please make package ABC".
Last edited by asqwerth on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Request to Members Making Package Requests

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Good. I snuck in as Mod and made it a sticky.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

I would add make the request in the version sub forum. For example Package Requests/Status - MX 17, not in Package Requests / Status which is for developers discussing the status of the request.

I have changed the forum description to reflect this.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

Newbie question: where do I find the MX-18 test repo's package list? Is there an FTP site I can browse?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

JayM wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 am Newbie question: where do I find the MX-18 test repo's package list? Is there an FTP site I can browse?
You can see it in MX Packageinstaller, select the MX Test tab. If you want to look at package manually, you can go to any mirror and browse to mx/testrepo/pool subfolder, like this: http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

Ah, thanks. I always use Synaptic so I didn't think to look in that other app.

Another question: I don't see a subforum for MX-18 requests. Do they go in the MX-17 forum or here?

One more: this board's description says "For developer discussion on package requests ". Is it OK for non-developer end-users to request apps they'd like to see added??
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Sparky

#7 Post by Sparky »

I didn't even know we can make Package Requests :)
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

Just check this sub-board and see how others have done it.

But see my first post in this thread.

Check first the MX Test Repo (and also Debian Backports!) which are easily accessible and searchable via the different tabs of MX Packageinstaller (MXPI) just to make sure it isn't packaged already.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#9 Post by JayM »

Thanks, asqwerth. Got it.

elyasbeshkani

#10 Post by elyasbeshkani »

Please make package tor

Return to “Package Requests / Status”