Why is MX Linux so successful and popular?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
zoli62

Why is MX Linux so successful and popular?

#1 Post by zoli62 »

Then first my own story. I used Debian for a long time. Then I switched to Linux Mint. I started testing Manjaro three years ago, and this year I installed it on one of my machines. At a local Linux Mint community forum I read about a small distribution called MX Linux. Then I remembered that I had read Antix Linux for three years, and it was a sympathetic initiative since it was Debian-based, but I didn't test it at that time. I just installed it on an older laptop with Windows 7.

What I like about it is suitable for both novice / average and professional users. It works fast and is ideal for older machines. There are some useful tools that are not included in Linux Mint or Manjaro Linux. A little success story. My laptop didn't have hibernation. Based on one of the forum posts, this problem was resolved on MX Linux. I would add that it still doesn't work on Windows 7. :)

Look forward to your opinions.

dphn

Re: Why is MX Linux so successful and popular?

#2 Post by dphn »

MX supports a wide range of hardware. My small ASUS X202E for example runs perfectly with MX. With other distributions the machine is hot when I watch YouTube, etc. Not so on MX. Another point are the MX-Tools. They are unique.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

oops

#3 Post by oops »

Right, MX/AntiX supports a wide range of hardware,the MX-Tools, lot of packages up to date, the dev. are available into the forum, and the system is light and fast (even for old PC, because without full systemd) ... And based on LTS Debian Stable (the key way for me)
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Gerson

#4 Post by Gerson »

I have been a GNU/Linux user for more than 10 years, I started using it out of curiosity but without leaving Windows (at that time Vista) and I remember that the first one was Ubuntu but I did not like its graphic aspect, so I found Kubuntu and his KDE desktop that I loved and had dual boot until I sold the machine, then I bought a Samsung without OS preinstalled and I began to track how much distribution with KDE I crossed but the problem was with programs of my profession that were only made for Windows and forced me to use them under VirtualBox and the latest distributions with KDE were very heavy and I did not like them that much anymore and It was when I found the MX 17 beta and decided to try it. It was another air for my machine, it was faster and although it brings XFCE desk I customized it to my liking and I do not want to try any other distribution. MX has everything for me and it works perfect, and its forum is one of the best I've participated in. Congratulations again to its developers and I appreciate the opportunity they gave me to give back their effort with the Spanish translations I made to the Manual.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Jules

#5 Post by Jules »

Well, what can I say. I'm a first time Linux user. Installed MX a few months ago. This is my first Linux distro. Never tried others. I used to hear from friends Linux is difficult to install. That's the reason it took me a while before trying. I did a great deal of reading first(weeks, months?) before installing. Installing went smooth. No problem at all. Very easy for a newbie. I think MX is popular because of that, and the docs are excellent. I learnt a lot by reading. The forum is IMHO also a reason. Good people with a lot of knowledge always willing to help. Very friendly! They spent a lot of time to help you out if you have a problem. In my case I have have no issue at all. System is running fine. A bit boring? yes..... The devs did a good job. Its like they know what we need.

Easy to install
Easy to use
Fast booting and shutdown
MX Tools
Great docs
Very helpful and friendly forum
Super devs...

These are the reasons why IMO MX is popular.
I started whit MX just to try it out. Now i'm using it everyday.....

Cheers 'n Beers,

Jules
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard disk???

jeanpaulberes

#6 Post by jeanpaulberes »

Well I'm using Linux from over a decade, 1st try even in the early ninetees with Mandrake (1995) ...
I used a lot of distros and Desktop Environments, for the DE's I can say KDE is beautiful but still not stable and a little bit chaotic for changes, Cinnamon - even latest version still freezes (tried it on LMDE 3) ... i dislike totally Gnome3 (and that time also Unity), so XFCE suits the most for me.
For distros I did try Redhat based distros (Fedora, OpenSuse), Arch Based (Antergos, Manjaro), Debian based (Debian itself until Dec. 2018, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint) ...
From December I switched toward MX-Linux (17 that time), now upgraded to 18 AND I can say that this distro suits me the most !
Good work guys !!! you can and have to be proud of it !
Best regards,
Jean Paul
:needcoffee:

paul1149

#7 Post by paul1149 »

I think ultimately MX's success is due to a very talented and dedicated group of devs who also are willing to help out the user base. Hard combination to beat.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

mystic

#8 Post by mystic »

Its Simple;

Choice - Users can choose between not using systemd as the default or using it when the need arises.

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

Well and then there is the humor... :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Sparky

#10 Post by Sparky »

paul1149 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 am I think ultimately MX's success is due to a very talented and dedicated group of devs who also are willing to help out the user base. Hard combination to beat.
Yep, that is the formula for Linux MX's success.
:toast:
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

Return to “General”