I've noticed that the MX forum is as busy as the Manjaro forum

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
handy

I've noticed that the MX forum is as busy as the Manjaro forum

#1 Post by handy »

I frequent both the Manjaro & the MX forum one after the other (usually multiple times per day). Always do, always have.

I'm noticing that sometimes the Manjaro forum has more posts, & other times the MX forum does (there is some variation re. time zone participation rates for some reason). Over all, MX has at least as many posts as the Manjaro forum (likely more, but I am staying on the conservative side here).

I personally think that from what I have been seeing over the past 6 months or so, that MX is going to keep on creeping up on the Manjaro numbers as time goes by.

I've been holding back on saying anything about this for some time, but hey, I just couldn't hold it in forever... ;)

Anyway, as usual, time will tell.

I will say, that I'm not saying the above with any kind of competitive motivation. I'd be quite happy if MX was sitting back at #300 in the Distrowatch charts, so long as it was still the same high quality distro. I consider the fame of being a top running distro to bring more negatives than positives with it.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

turtlebay777

Re: I've noticed that the MX forum is as busy as the Manjaro forum

#2 Post by turtlebay777 »

A phenomenon not unknown to the Mint team who have discovered that being a very popular distro means that a lot of their newbies are converts from Windoze, who don't really understand the differences between 'Doze and Linux. They may have been Windoze power users but only realise their lack of expertise when moved away from 'Doze.

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

I know what you mean about "fame".

I've noticed that Manjaro have been attracting a fair number of rather demanding and unpleasant new posters who seem to want the answer NOW, but don't really want to learn, or learn how to help themselves when some guides and tips are given. Nor do they seem to want to at least read up about the rolling distro they are moving to (often from Ubuntu-based distros) and how it differs from Ubuntu.

People are people so statistically I'm sure we will get a few of those here as we get more users, but I'm hoping that it will just be a small number. So far, so good. Hope I'm not jinxing us!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Pierre

#4 Post by Pierre »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 am A phenomenon not unknown to the Mint team who have discovered that being a very popular distro means that a lot of their newbies are converts from Windoze, who don't really understand the differences between 'Doze and Linux. They may have been Windoze power users but only realise their lack of expertise when moved away from 'Doze.
yeah - that's about it, too.
but - lot's of those 'Windoze power users ' - do need to have their hand held, at least for a short while, anyway.
:eek:
the - they seem to 'take off' on their own.
:cool:

uncle mark

#5 Post by uncle mark »

Pierre wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 am
turtlebay777 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 am A phenomenon not unknown to the Mint team who have discovered that being a very popular distro means that a lot of their newbies are converts from Windoze, who don't really understand the differences between 'Doze and Linux. They may have been Windoze power users but only realise their lack of expertise when moved away from 'Doze.
yeah - that's about it, too.
but - lot's of those 'Windoze power users ' - do need to have their hand held, at least for a short while, anyway.
:eek:
the - they seem to 'take off' on their own.
:cool:
Windows "Power Users" are the worst. Give me an Aunt Mabel type any time.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

I fancied myself a Windows power user in the Jurassic period. I remember arguing on the Xandros Forum that Windows software was easier to find and install then Linux software. Needless to say I was dead wrong.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#7 Post by Eadwine Rose »

NOTE that you said WAS.

Way back when Linux was command line mostly I wager it sure was.

I wouldn't know.. I never experienced it.. but then again.. I went from Atari 1040ST to Windows, so the transition wasn't hard.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 pm NOTE that you said WAS.

I wouldn't know.. I never experienced it.. but then again.. I went from Atari 1040ST to Windows, so the transition wasn't hard.
No there were repositories. but to give you an idea of the time frame, I installed KDE 2.x into Xandros. Now that was a pain and took several hours.
Well I was wrong then and would still be if I now held that to be true.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

dreamer

#9 Post by dreamer »

richb wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:29 pm
Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 pm NOTE that you said WAS.

No there were repositories. but to give you an idea of the time frame, I installed KDE 2.x into Xandros. Now that was a pain and took several hours.
Well I was wrong then and would still be if I now held that to be true.
To be fair to Windows you can install Chocolatey package manager and get a Synaptic-like GUI or use choco from the command line. It gives you access to more than 3000 popular applications. You can host your own repos if you don't trust the community repo and so on. Cmder is a good terminal for Windows.

If we want to compare Windows and Linux, we have to compare feature by feature. Since apt and deb packages are one of Linux best features it's hard for Windows to shine here, but that doesn't mean Windows hasn't a decent alternative. It's what I use these days on Windows. It's nice, but still pretty young.

I like this kind of middle-ground between Windows and Linux. Chocolatey is definitely package management, but since packages are self-contained dependency hell should be rare. It would be like a Linux system where base system is built by debs and applications come as AppImages packaged as debs. That would be my favorite system and would ensure painless updates of applications and also universal Linux application compatibility which is necessary for Linux to become a mainstream player. For this reason the big guys promote their Flatpak and Snap solutions.

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

My Windows experience is 15 years old. So any "new" developments were certainly not available. One either stuck with what was part of the OS or searched the World Wide Web, that is what it was called, for applications.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Return to “General”