Conky Helps and Stuff

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Conky Helps and Stuff

#291 Post by asqwerth »

male wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:58 am
asqwerth wrote:(even though I see the wind direction and the wind code number on the Accuweather webpage).

I had to use the main URL address for my city (which means the weather is more generalised) before the wind direction number in 27p was generated again.
Don't let Teo hear that explanation... :lipsrsealed:
Haha, not likely. I've been a registered member of bunsenlabs forum since 2015 but I've never posted there! (I did make an introduction post long ago in the now defunct crunchbang forum....).

Line 27p in curr_cond is just completely empty when I use the old URL location. Once I switch to the more general URL location, the wind code reappears. I swapped back and forth a few times to check it out. I'm not sure if this is a temporary glitch or permanent.

It's really weird because when I compare the webpages for the general city and the location closer to me, both display the wind forecasts and codes NOT on their main pages (which are the URLs used in accuweather script) but their respective sub-pages for "Hourly forecasts" (which URLs are not used in the accuweather script). Yet the city location's wind code still appears but the older location's wind code does not.

As a test, I tried to change the URL to the hourly forecast subpage URL of my old location, to see if line 27 will appear again. Nope.

==========================

[CORRECTION] The number in the accuweather page is not the wind code but the wind speed! :bagoverhead:

But in any case, the webpage of the URL used in accuweather script does not itself have the wind details. Only current, daily, hourly, etc subpages show the wind direction and speed.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

male

#292 Post by male »

It's completely the opposite of what you just wrote.
So the "local weather side" shows no wind symbol at all!

Do you know the difference between (crunchbang-forum)/bunsenlabs-forum AND the mx-forum?
The users show their configurations without hesitation, so that the helper(s) can build it. They don't talk too much around the bush. ;)

asqwerth
Developer

#293 Post by asqwerth »

male wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:23 am It's completely the opposite of what you just wrote.
So the "local weather side" shows no wind symbol at all!
not true.

BOTH the city and local location's main accuweather.com URL addresses do not show any wind direction and speed when I view the pages via the browser, yet the CONKY will still show conkywind symbols if I use the city's main URL address in the accuweather script. If I use the local area's main URL address in the accuweather script, the conkywind symbols no longer show up in the CONKY even though it used to.

In the browser, if you visit accuweather.com for my city or local area, the wind direction and wind speed are only displayed on their sub-pages for Hourly, Current, Daily, etc forecasts, not the main URL address.

Do you know the difference between (crunchbang-forum)/bunsenlabs-forum AND the mx-forum?
The users show their configurations without hesitation, so that the helper(s) can build it. They don't talk too much around the bush. ;)
conky - no changes made to the config from the time it worked to yesterday when it failed. (and this was your config)

And remember, I just tested your eadwine_weather configuration as well. I just copied your config as is. No conkywind symbols appeared in the conky. Now I know it is because I used my local location URL.

The only change therefore is in 1_accuweather script: the location URL.

I am not keen to disclose my location on the forum.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#294 Post by Jerry3904 »

The users show their configurations without hesitation, so that the helper(s) can build it. They don't talk too much around the bush.
Do you know how many times people tell us that we don't do things like (take your pick) Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, Mint, and now bunsenlabs do? It gets old...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

male

#295 Post by male »

asqwerth wrote:conky - no changes made to the config from the time it worked to yesterday when it failed. (and this was your config)
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44927&start=280#p477100

This is my
eadwine4_bei_dunkel.jpg
i would have liked to see the accuweather page. :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

asqwerth
Developer

#296 Post by asqwerth »

male wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:33 pm
asqwerth wrote:conky - no changes made to the config from the time it worked to yesterday when it failed. (and this was your config)
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44927&start=280#p477100

This is my
eadwine4_bei_dunkel.jpg
i would have liked to see the accuweather page. :p
More information and developments. It seems that if you were initially running conky A with the 1_accuweather script, then you killed it and ran conky B with the same accuweather script, line 27p in curr_cond will not be generated again. But if you then edit the 1_accuweather script to change to a different location, and then re-run conky, line 27p will be generated again for this new location URL, and the conkywind symbols will appear on your conky again.

This is what happened to me last night:
I was working on eadwine_weather, because your original config had font sizes for conkyweather and conkywind that I felt were too large. I was using the main city URL in 1_accuweather script. After I got it adjusted to my liking, I decided to return to your small square weather conky.

But when I did that, the conkywind symbols disappeared from the conky again. I checked curr_cond file and line 27p was missing again. Switched back to my local area URL, and it works again to generate line 27p.

Strange.

male

#297 Post by male »

asqwerth wrote:
More information and developments. It seems that if you were initially running conky A with the 1_accuweather script, then you killed it and ran conky B with the same accuweather script, line 27p in curr_cond will not be generated again. But if you then edit the 1_accuweather script to change to a different location, and then re-run conky, line 27p will be generated again for this new location URL, and the conkywind symbols will appear on your conky again.
That's not strange but logically :cool:
Both Conky's have a default time when they call the script.
This is what happened to me last night:
I was working on eadwine_weather, because your original config had font sizes for conkyweather and conkywind that I felt were too large. I was using the main city URL in 1_accuweather script. After I got it adjusted to my liking, I decided to return to your small square weather conky.

But when I did that, the conkywind symbols disappeared from the conky again. I checked curr_cond file and line 27p was missing again. Switched back to my local area URL, and it works again to generate line 27p.

Strange.
What I don't understand at all from your experience, why don't you just use the address of Teo in the script or my

Code: Select all

https://www.accuweather.com/en/de/dresden/01067/weather-forecast/171239
to get to the bottom of the error of the "missing WIND symbol" in your're configuration ? and, your conkyrc is also kept secret ? 9_9

male

#298 Post by male »

@xali

To give your wttr-conky a "certain form", you could first write the curl output into a file and let Conky read it from there. A test looks like this:

I used the font Fira Mono and set its size to 7. This is still justifiable on the desktop.
The window size of the Conky is here

minimum_size 300 500
	maximum_width 1000
If you use a larger font, size 10 would just have to fit in. ;)
Your conky command would be:

${font Fira Mono:size=7}${execi 600 curl 'wttr.in/XXXXXX?Q?1?T?F' > weather}
${exec cat weather}${font}
"weather" find in your /home ;)

smilliken

#299 Post by smilliken »

How do you get the conkys created for 1_Accuweather to show in the Conky Manager? Or is not possible. https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic ... 545#p1545o

I added the direcctory to the Location in Conky Manager
There is no "Ctrl+Z" in life!
Asus X570, Rysen 3600, 32 GB RAM MX-21
Acer 7551G MX-21 & Win 10
Asus i5, 16 GB RAM MX-21 & Win 10
Brother DCP-7065DN/HL-L3270CDW
Linux User# 4523410

asqwerth
Developer

#300 Post by asqwerth »

You need to make your conkys in the old conky syntax. Conky manager only recognises conkys as conkys if they are in old syntax. Otherwise they won't show up within the CM list. Doesn't mean they don't work but you can't run them from within CM.

Post your conkys and let's see. I can help convert them if need be.

Return to “Software / Configuration”