Request: Latest MAME

For developer discussion on package requests
Stevo
Developer

Re: Request: Latest MAME

#11 Post by Stevo »

Have you tried installing and using their deb package to see how it works?

Raitsa

#12 Post by Raitsa »

I have not tried it, I am quite new to Linux so I have been trying to keep my MX installs nice and tidy.

Gonna try to install the deb tomorrow and will report back.

Raitsa

#13 Post by Raitsa »

Newbie alert.
Installing the Negatron .deb went very smoothly but looks like I cant start it from anywhere (tried typing Negatron on the CLI) and seems that I cant find it on my PC either.

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

Progress Report: I did get 64-bit mame-0.203 from upstream Debian to build successfully on my system using the "sbuild" schroot build system, since it fails in the pbuilder system we normally use, but still have to see if that'll work for cross-compiling the 32-bit version. I don't even know if I have a 32-bit sbuild set up yet, though "mk-sbuild stretch --arch=i386" did complete successfully, which is supposed to set it up.

I can at least get the 64-bit 0.203 version in the test repo before tackling the 0.205 version again.

Raitsa

#15 Post by Raitsa »

Nice progress Stevo, very very much appreciated, thank you very much :)

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

Raitsa wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:26 am Newbie alert.
Installing the Negatron .deb went very smoothly but looks like I cant start it from anywhere (tried typing Negatron on the CLI) and seems that I cant find it on my PC either.
Does "negatron" work instead?

Or you can look at a list of the files the deb installed in Synaptic or with "dpkg-query -L negatron" to see if the command appears there.

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

I have to thank Mame for making me learn how to get sbuild working for 64 and 32-bit, which will help in the future for packages that fail in pbuilder, like PaleMoon, but the 32-bit build of Mame died when it "exhausted virtual memory" there.

Strangely enough, it also died with the same error in a try in 32-bit Virtual Box, though a build shouldn't see any "virtual"memory there. I'll try with a single-threaded build before I give up.

Raitsa

#18 Post by Raitsa »

Negatron seems to be installed ok in /opt but I cant seem to be able to start it no matter how I try.
Seems like anything I install manually, will not start...
_____

Stevo, would the http://babelsoft.net/products/negamame.htm be of any help to you?
0.205-1 is available as NegaMAME.

"Below Linux versions have been compiled with GCC 8.1.1, SDL 2.0.8 and Qt 5.10.1 on Fedora 28 kernel release 4.17.2-200.fc28.x86_64 LSB version core-4.1-amd64."

Raitsa

#19 Post by Raitsa »

Some compiling infos also at

http://babelsoft.net/products/negamame.htm#compile

Edit:
Just found the Linux install infos for NegaMAME and Negatron from the author:
http://forum.pleasuredome.org.uk/index. ... ntry293304

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

It appears that the negamame binaries were compiled against bleeding edge packages such as gcc 8.1, and thus won't work on MX.

After a problem with 0.203, I rebuilt it correctly and the the 64-bit version should be in the test tepo soon. I'm also trying the deb-multimedia rebuild of 0.205, which is set to use a more modern compiler called clang--we have access to several different versions of that. The stock Stretch 3.8 clang errored out, so I modified the build to use clang-4.0 that was added to Stretch for Firefox Quantum builds, and so far it's working in its very long build... :crossfingers: If that fails we also have clang-6.0 and clang-7.

Edit: 4.0 gets a compiler error, trying clang-6.0, which is in our main repo.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”