Has anyone tried Deepin?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Eggnog

Re: Has anyone tried Deepin?

#11 Post by Eggnog »

antechdesigns wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:10 pm I have an archdeepin ISO floating around on the web, I made it for my own personnel use, I adding an installer to see if it worked, and it did. So I released it to the public, Has a live environment, its 100 times better than deepin. Its fast, uses about 480mb at first boot, no problems with updates etc because it uses the arch repos, obviously. Does not have a lot of software installed OOTB, and does not have the controversial deepin software manager.

If your familiar with arch and like the DDE its a fantastic ISO
I didn't like the regular Deepin distro. There was nothing wrong with the DE, which is quite beautiful actually, and the distro seemed nice enough. It was mostly that their servers seemed slow and everything took forever to happen, from the ISO download on up. I found your archdeepin ISO (10/19/18 version) which I guess is the latest. I'm going to put it into a VM to check it out. I have a feeling it's going to tempt me to try it on hardware.

aledie

#12 Post by aledie »

I think the last time I tried it (before they optimized), from memory - so don't take it literally without checking, they seemed improving a lot and faaast, like in one release they said ram went down from 1.2G to 0.8.

-it was too heavy (above 1gig ram) on my 5 year old 6Gb ram, i5-1Gen Compaq. And getting heavier once you start opening browser or LO docs. Bad for Debian based.
-installation demanded >20gig drive, not sure now, but recall it went weird as it needed the whole drive to swallow
-overfloated with software, especially emulators etc, many apps installed recall also Android apps like WeChat, WhatsApp, games etc.
-what I didn't like about their software manager, it wanted me to sign up, which was weird, otherwise I couldn't install anything.
-A lot of (for some useful, for others not) Chinese software, like Baidu Pan/ Yun drive, which is a good thing (do they offer 1TB cloud storage?).
-Basically too much "want to be Mac or Win (or shall I say iPad)" feel
-were many bugs here and there once you start opening apps
. Felt heavy
- if I recall correctly, it's run by a Chinese company from Chengdu or Chongqing, so at the end of day companies in China want to make money, there isn't much else to expect long-term
- spying issue may not be true, probably just some stats on software manager usage, something more innocent like Ubuntu/Amazon or Google do... Remember reading a response by deepin devs about.
-sure, if you use third applications preinstalled like WeChat Messenger, who knows what gets checked

It was some 1 year ago.
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Eggnog

#13 Post by Eggnog »

I never could get the archdeepin iso to download. It kept stopping part way through. So I finally used Manjaro Architect to get the latest Manjaro and the lastest Deepin. The Manjaro community Deepin spin is over a year old so I thought what the heck and used Architect. I haven't had time to take it for a proper spin yet, but I will tomorrow. Seems fast enough in virtualbox. I'm pretty excited to see how it works.

dphn

#14 Post by dphn »

antechdesigns wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:10 pm I have an archdeepin ISO floating around on the web, I made it for my own personnel use, I adding an installer to see if it worked, and it did. So I released it to the public, Has a live environment, its 100 times better than deepin. Its fast, uses about 480mb at first boot, no problems with updates etc because it uses the arch repos, obviously. Does not have a lot of software installed OOTB, and does not have the controversial deepin software manager.

If your familiar with arch and like the DDE its a fantastic ISO
Great idea. Have seen your iso on your website, but it's an old version from Oct. 2018. For Arch it is recommenable to provide every month a new iso. Their packages changes fast and updating an old Arch-System isn't easy or perhaps not possible anymore.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

wildmanjohn

#15 Post by wildmanjohn »

Yes. I was a user for 2 years and now use MX17+1. It was my "go to" OS for that 2 year period. I'm not a coder or programmer...just want a nice and easy OS. Not a gamer or anything special-general user for everyday use. :)

antechdesigns

#16 Post by antechdesigns »

dphn wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:45 am Great idea. Have seen your iso on your website, but it's an old version from Oct. 2018. For Arch it is recommenable to provide every month a new iso. Their packages changes fast and updating an old Arch-System isn't easy or perhaps not possible anymore.
I will be doing a new ISO soon, when I get myself motivated after the holidays ;)

gsm

#17 Post by gsm »

I tried the latest Deepin releases and in my opinion it is not only very beautiful, but it also has a nice and clear structure, especially for the settings where everything is easy to find.
It has become significantly faster and is now based on the stable Debian release.
It is very flexible and easy to install, even for people coming straight from Windows.
Everything is structured in a very nice way.
There are many apps available in the store and Deepin also has a number of nice tools.

One strange thing after each major Deepin-update:
The AMD video card is not able to produce a usable screen and displays only noise after login. The login screen is ok.
After a second reboot (forcing power off and power on) everthing is fine again.

Be sure to set the Deepin store (settings in the Deepin store app) to the non-Chinese mode!
I am in doubt if i should switch to Deepin or not, since MX Linux with the XFCE environment feels good.

Gerson

#18 Post by Gerson »

A month ago I was testing version 15.9.3 and then version 15.10 - which is not an update but a change from an unstable version of Debian (15.9.3) to the stable version (15.10) - and I do not recommend installing it even if it comes from Debian, today it is very unstable because of the change and also because of using a desk with Kwin unfinished. Although MX does not have the aesthetics and graphic effects of Deepin, I prefer MX but I remember that with Deepin I had no problem with Bluetooth headphones as if I have them with MX without solution.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

rasat

#19 Post by rasat »

I tried once but uninstalled due to the panel. The setting panel is interesting at first install, but whats the usage once everything are set.

gsm

#20 Post by gsm »

I like the way how updates are handled by Deepin and progress is displayed as a part of the Settings panel. Same for the installation of apps where progress is displayed 50% for the download and the other 50% for the installation.
It looks as a copy of the way apple does it with IOS. So the Settings panel is in my opinion a bit multipurpose, not only very handy for the initial settings.
But no doubt: MX Linux feels better so far.

Return to “General”