Has anyone tried Deepin?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Eggnog

Has anyone tried Deepin?

#1 Post by Eggnog »

I've been hearing and reading a lot of good things about Deepin's latest 15.8 release based on Sid, I believe. Apparently, they've squashed a number of the earlier bugs and polished it up pretty nicely with a solid software center. I also understand they've designed the DE to be able to be incorporated into other distros. I believe Manjaro has an unofficial Deepin spin. I don't buy that whole Chinese spyware schtick. I mean, there are a lot better targets than random linux users. Hell, Windows is probably more worrisome. So ... has anyone given it a shot? I'm thinking about throwing it in to a VM and giving it a spin around the block just for something to do this weekend. I heard the DE is pretty sweet, and quite newbie friendly which we need more of.

Mauser

Re: Has anyone tried Deepin?

#2 Post by Mauser »

No, and I never will.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

svx_biker

#3 Post by svx_biker »

I have Deepin on one partition and as DE on Manjaro. The desktop is nice and polished.

Base is Debian and as a speciality they use WPS office. This looks more like MS Office but libreoffice can be installed. A dock at the bottom is standard.
Machine: Acer Aspire S5-371
CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U with 8GB RAM
MX-19 Beta-2 with Kernel 4.19.0-6

GerardV

#4 Post by GerardV »

I have tried Deepin, both the native version and the Manjaro spin. It is a beautifully constructed OS with a unique system settings app.
Both worked flawlessly on both a vm and normal hardware. The native version is Debian based and uses their repos. The Manjaro spin is of course is based on Arch and uses their repos including AUR.
I prefered the Manjaro spin, maybe because its Arch based but was notably faster than the native Debian version. The only thing that annoyed me is that the window themes and decorations are hard coded in the native Deepin apps and could not be changed to whatever i prefered. But definitely worh a try

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

Have they switched to Debian base? Could have sworn that Deepin the distro started as an Ubuntu variant.

Tried it a long time ago when it first came out, on my old pc. Found it heavy on resources. Never bothered again.

I could test the DE on either of my 2 manjaro installs but I can't be bothered.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

skidoo

#6 Post by skidoo »

Have they switched to Debian base? Could have sworn that Deepin the distro started as an Ubuntu variant.
Expanding on what svx_biker mentioned, Yes, debian unstable since 2015. Check it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepin
I really admire their Deepin Terminal (terminal emulator app, forked from guake) and the "polish" + ease of use they've accomplished with various other apps they've developed in-house.

Gerson

#7 Post by Gerson »

I tried it last year in October, and although it has a nice graphic design, you can not make many changes in the design as I like it, they have WPS in exchange for LibreOffice and I do not like how it works, the repositories are very slow and the community does not help much. In that test of distributions was when I met in November 2017 with the beta of MX 17 and from the first moment I tried it I knew I was going to stay here and that happened, now I'm in MX 18 and I do not change to any other Although I have tried a couple of distributions just to compare, MX winner always comes out so I do not try anything else.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

dphn

#8 Post by dphn »

Have tried it for a while. They also provide Codeweavers 'Crossover'. deepin and Codeweavers work together in many ways, I think.
System runs fine, but updates are slow from chinese servers. There are no 'normal' Debian Sid mirrors. Sources are deepin mirrors only. O.k. Version 15.8 not tested by me. Maybe there are changing a lot of those things. I don't know.

DE looks fine. You like it or not. That's it. Only a few modifications are possible.

For that, I love Xfce.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

antechdesigns

#9 Post by antechdesigns »

I have an archdeepin ISO floating around on the web, I made it for my own personnel use, I adding an installer to see if it worked, and it did. So I released it to the public, Has a live environment, its 100 times better than deepin. Its fast, uses about 480mb at first boot, no problems with updates etc because it uses the arch repos, obviously. Does not have a lot of software installed OOTB, and does not have the controversial deepin software manager.

If your familiar with arch and like the DDE its a fantastic ISO

turtlebay777

#10 Post by turtlebay777 »

Good King Wenceslas looked out, on the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about,

Deepin crisp and even!

Return to “General”