It's an ugly Windows world out there

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
uncle mark

It's an ugly Windows world out there

#1 Post by uncle mark »

So a couple weeks ago the business manager at work started having computer oddities. Just some strange stuff, that he was able to work around, but indications that his load of W7 and/or his hard drive was getting funky. I built his machine maybe six years ago or so, and he rides it hard doing all kinds of stuff that it takes to keep the business running, so we got permission to have me do a big upgrade to his hardware -- mobo, cpu, memory, and an SSD -- while using the same case and PSU and optical drive. Ordered in fairly high end stuff. Planned on me doing to over this week while we're shut down.

Physical build fell together easily. But the thing won't boot the W7 install disk for nothing. Blue screens with "The bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant". Spent hours in the EFI trying all the different settings, modes, you name it. Googled until my head hurt. No joy. Totally ruined my day. As best I could tell, either the EFI needed an update (which made no sense, I'm looking to install an older OS, not the latest and greatest), or that the hardware just flat wasn't compatible with W7, and required W10.

Sure enough, buried way down at the bottom of the spec page on the manufacturer's site:

OS - Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-HDV ... cification

Of course, MX Linux boots straight up without any issues whatsoever.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

duane

Re: It's an ugly Windows world out there

#2 Post by duane »

You can't fix just plain stupid stuff.
I feel for you.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

fehlix
Developer

#3 Post by fehlix »

uncle mark wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:46 pm Of course, MX Linux boots straight up without any issues whatsoever.
Install MX, with a nice Win-login theme - and have Win7 running in VirtualBox.
Running full screen mode, you could no even spot that it's in in VM; ... :snail: ...
Tell him MX is a EFI/application layer for Win7. :p
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Paul..

#4 Post by Paul.. »

uncle mark we haven't heard from you in a dog's age! good to hear from you...and duane has not had anyone to abuse in that same period...terrible shame...

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

turtlebay777

#5 Post by turtlebay777 »

Surely if he trusts you to build his computer he should accept your recommendation on the nice easy OS it needs to run - MX!

uncle mark

#6 Post by uncle mark »

turtlebay777 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:34 pm Surely if he trusts you to build his computer he should accept your recommendation on the nice easy OS it needs to run - MX!
I already have everyone that can running Linux at my workplace. This guy's software requirements are such that it's not feasible.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

turtlebay777

#7 Post by turtlebay777 »

OK Mark, then Fehlix's suggestion sounds ideal then, run in 7 in a Virtual Box.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about Microsoft removing Win7 support for newer CPUs--maybe this

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... new-chips/

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

There's always ReactOS...
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

turtlebay777

#10 Post by turtlebay777 »

Stevo wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:24 pm I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about Microsoft removing Win7 support for newer CPUs--maybe this

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... new-chips/
Well seems to me they want to shoot themselves in the foot! Presumably Linux runs on those modern chips, just not older Windows distros?

(Yeah I shouldn't use Distro to describe Windoze")

Return to “General”