Poll

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
barnaby

Re: Poll

#11 Post by barnaby »

Panel at the bottom. Plain desktops, that is just one different colour on each one. Several launcher icons on the desktop. Four desktops. Conty off. Several extra keyboard shortcuts. Don't use the Whisker menu, use the old one instead. Like most people I suppose, my layout would not look even similar to any one else's. That is the beauty of Linux and Xfce.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#12 Post by Eadwine Rose »

This is my layout. The errors in the conky are something I need to figure out in due time.

Panel at the bottom, small fonts, still don't need glasses at my 46 years of age today. :rock:

Some stuff adjusted for easy reboot and shutdown, some things in the panel on the right. A news ticker on top and when chats happen they get put on the left side of the browser.

No splash, detailed text.. yeah that's about it.

Oh wait no.. on the left is a pop up panel where my applications are. It drops back down when I don't hover over it. If you look real close you can see a thicker black line on the left of the screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

I use the hidden panel for my most commonly used apps. That lets me have stuff available and yet not have to look at it. I prefer to just see a beautiful wallpaper, and we include 37 of them with MX-18 by my count!.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

Wallpaper: MX Ribbon. Also on my phone home screen and Echo Show.
Panel: Main panel on bottom and an apps panel on the top.
Icons: Tweak's Amiga
Cursor: Capitaine Cursors
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

MAYBL8
MX Packager

#15 Post by MAYBL8 »

Desktop environment? Xfce
Panel location? Left
Theme style? Greybird-mx17 (I would like to change this but every theme I change seems to make some dialog boxes look like old Windows 2000.)
Icon set? ePapirus

Trying to learn where all the files are stored is a challenge sometime. It is nice you can store themes in your /home folder so when you reinstall you don't lose new ones you acquire.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#16 Post by j2mcgreg »

DE: xfce
Panel location: bottom
Wallpaper: picture of my cat when she was two years old showing her target weight (she's quite fat now)
Theme style: MX 18 default
Icon set: MX 18 default
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#17 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Desktop environment? Xfce
Panel location? Left
Theme obsidian-2 (gtk) & Moheli (xfwm)?
Icon set? obsidian
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dphn

#18 Post by dphn »

Xfce in it's standard setup uses the main panel on top and a second one as a dock on bottom. I like the standard and changed the normal menu with the whisker-menu and play around with various panel-applets. A nice conky, wallpaper, gtk-theme and icons. Changed this from time to time. Adapta-GTK-Themes with ePapirus looks great.
Since MX I'm creating black/white images of wallpapers for the lightdm-gtk-greeter.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Mauser

#19 Post by Mauser »

Thanks to all who posted so far. This thread shows that when the comments come up on where should the panel location, what the desktop environment should be, and what theming it should have that there is no one size fits all. The MX developers did a great job by including MX Tweak and MX Package Installer. :clap:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

azrielle

#20 Post by azrielle »

DE: Xfce. Always. Really hate KDE, Gnome3, and LXDE/LXQT. Also like Openbox and Fluxbox, on more rudimentary distros, such as AntiX, Sparky minimalGUI, or Bunsenlabs.
I usually set up the left side panel to always hide, change the background color to some shade of chartreuse or lavender, depending on what I choose for wallpaper, and make it about 70% opaque. I like the left side position (I usually set up Win7SP1 with ITS panel on the right side); it uses up the least amount of screen space on a small-ish widescreen notebook or netbook. It also ought to be pointed out, again, that MX's panel placement isn't unique--Ubuntu's Unity DE puts what I choose to refer to as its "panel equivalent" on the left as well!
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Return to “General”