Poll

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Mauser

Poll

#1 Post by Mauser »

With all the opinions on theming, desktop environments, icons, and location of the panel I have set up this poll. Copy and paste followed by your answer. I will post my answers to show you as an example in the post after this one. Desktop environment? Panel location? Theme style? Icon set?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Mauser

Re: Poll

#2 Post by Mauser »

Desktop environment? Xfce Panel location? Bottom Theme style? Plasma Bolt Icon set? Tweak's Amiga Icons
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

How come.... I don't see a poll?
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Eggnog

#4 Post by Eggnog »

Panel on the left probably surprises people more than anything in the beginning, and having the whisker menu at the bottom of it. MX panel on the left is kind of a "MX thing". Of course a couple of clicks and you can put it elsewhere. For example, I generally prefer my panels at the top. Most apps have their menus up top so why would I want to bob my eyes up and down from top to bottom?

The rest can be themed to satisfy individual tasts. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

@eggnog.... you'd never recognize my desktop as anything other than mine. I love xfce for that and MX because it holds true to that spirit.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Mauser

#6 Post by Mauser »

Eggnog wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 pm Panel on the left probably surprises people more than anything in the beginning, and having the whisker menu at the bottom of it. MX panel on the left is kind of a "MX thing". Of course a couple of clicks and you can put it elsewhere. For example, I generally prefer my panels at the top. Most apps have their menus up top so why would I want to bob my eyes up and down from top to bottom?

The rest can be themed to satisfy individual tasts. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Fair enough.

Gordon Cooper

#7 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Eggnog wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 pm P MX panel on the left is kind of a "MX thing". Of course a couple of clicks and you can put it elsewhere.
Yes, it it an MX thing. A good identifier for MX as it comes down the line from the Developers, change it if you wish, but leave the original as is.

A response to those who would like MX changed, is a copy of the pic that graced the wall of our production unit:
When.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Mauser

#8 Post by Mauser »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:36 pm
Eggnog wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 pm P MX panel on the left is kind of a "MX thing". Of course a couple of clicks and you can put it elsewhere.
Yes, it it an MX thing. A good identifier for MX as it comes down the line from the Developers, change it if you wish, but leave the original as is.

A response to those who would like MX changed, is a copy of the pic that graced the wall of our production unit:
When.png
Not looking for change. Just looking to see how people usually setup and share this information with fellow MX Linux users. Nice picture. :happy:

Eggnog

#9 Post by Eggnog »

Well, right now I have the panel at the top, partially transparent. I have Plank dock on the left with the Matte theme. I'm using the XFCE-D-PRO theme made by someone here on the forums, I believe. It's pretty slick; I like it a lot. For icons I'm using the Xfaenza icon theme, which ties in nicely with the dark panel. Both can be found at gnome-look.org. For background, I'm using the mountain village background, one of the official wallpapers. Nothing fancy, but it looks pretty nice.

JmaCWQ

#10 Post by JmaCWQ »

Desktop environment?
Xfce.

Panel location?
Bottom.
After messing around with Plank, Docky & a few others I decided for the moment to use 5 separate Xfce panels + 2 conkys that span right across the bottom of the screen to achieve what I want.
3 panels have totally transparent backgrounds & the other 2 are partially.
The Xfce panel/s just works and works consistently without problems, the others were a source of irritation from time to time, crashing, not working as they were supposed to etc..

Theme style?
My own mod of Plasma Bolt.

Icon set?
My own mod of the FS Icons Ubuntu-Sky icon set.

I have a snapshot of MX-17.1 with the above already set up that makes it quick & easy to start from scratch & get things how I like them.
Will no doubt make a snapshot of MX-18 soon, for the same reason.

Return to “General”