Freedom is the key to success with any distro

freefreeno

Freedom is the key to success with any distro

#1 Post by freefreeno »

I just wan to say that I love the how mx works . There that is out of the way. The Distro works great but looks like it was designed by well someone who maybe like windows 2000.There is two things wrong with the entire thing. The icons you use for mx applications well they are ugly as all get out and nearly everyone of them looks out of place and make the rest look like crap. You will say theme it. Yea you could do that but nobody puts icon themes in there for say MX idevice mounter so when we try and use an icon theme that looks great on ALL other Distro's it well looks like crap on here. The future of Linux is with the younger people and the younger people do not want something that was designed like a year 2000 PC. It is nearly 2019 and the only thing that holds this Distro back from being my number one choice is design. The icon themes look out of place for MX apps. Issue number two is the fact that ALL MX apps can't be removed without removing all the stuff nearly. Linux is about freedom and I if I want to remove something then well I think that shouldn't be a problem bu it is on here. I guess you all don't want people to remove any MX apps. Why should I have to wait on updates to be applied to something that I will never use but I will be forced to look at every day ugly icons and all. It is simple people come to Linux for freedom and if you make it where they cant remove anything then well that defeats the purpose. That said the work ability of this Distro is great but the design and the fact that half of the distro cant be removed without removing the other half well that is not freedom and that is what turns me back. I will never ever use idevice mounter or windows wireless drivers but I will be waiting on updates for them when updates are applied and I will have to look at them. Nice distro but needs a design refresh and someone to remember the very thing that brought us all to Linux which was freedom.

Mod note Eadwine: edited title, please don't shout.

Adrian
Developer

Re: Freedom is the key to success with any distro

#2 Post by Adrian »

What MX program you want to remove and why?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Long lectures are always fun.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

MAYBL8
MX Packager

#4 Post by MAYBL8 »

I usually don't comment on these kinds of posts but you said it perfectly. Linux is about Freedom and you have the Freedom to choose any distro you like. Also there are all free so you don't have to pay for any of them.
Constructive criticism is always welcome I am sure.
Maybe someone here can point you to the tools you need to make this distro look the way you want it to. Anything can be done with Linux if you put the time and effort into it to learn it.
Good Luck

anticapitalista
Developer

#5 Post by anticapitalista »

Paragraphs are the key to getting someone to read your posts.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

Personally I eagerly await seeing your youthful, artistic desktop layout. I posted my 'old guy, can't see small fonts' style in the MX18 screenshots, as have others.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

just because a thing isn't obvious does not mean it can't be done.

the following will allow you to remove all the mx-tools. variations will allow you to remove individual tools as you see fit, just don't include those in the removal list.

Code: Select all

apt-get remove mx-apps mx-boot-options mx-bootrepair mx-cleanup mx-clocky mx-codecs mx-conky mx-conky-data mx-docs mx-idevice-mounter mx-iphone  mx-iso-template mx-live-usb-maker mx-menu-editor mx-network-assistant mx-packageinstaller  mx-packageinstaller-pkglist mx-remaster mx-remastercc mx-repo-list mx-repo-manager mx-select-sound mx-snapshot  mx-switchuser mx-system mx-system-sounds mx-timeset-gui mx-tools mx-tweak mx-tweak-data mx-usb-unmounter mx-user mx-viewer mx-welcome 
you should see something like this

apt-get remove mx-apps mx-boot-options mx-bootrepair mx-cleanup mx-clocky mx-codecs mx-conky mx-conky-data mx-docs mx-idevice-mounter mx-iphone  mx-iso-template mx-live-usb-maker mx-menu-editor mx-network-assistant mx-packageinstaller  mx-packageinstaller-pkglist mx-remaster mx-remastercc mx-repo-list mx-repo-manager mx-select-sound mx-snapshot  mx-switchuser mx-system mx-system-sounds mx-timeset-gui mx-tools mx-tweak mx-tweak-data mx-usb-unmounter mx-user mx-viewer mx-welcome 

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  apt-transport-https bubblewrap ecryptfs-utils flatpak ideviceinstaller ifuse libappstream-glib8
  libecryptfs1 libgcab-1.0-0 libimobiledevice-utils libostree-1-1 libtspi1 libyaml-0-2 libzip4
  numix-icon-theme python-imobiledevice python-plist python-rsvg python3-pyqt5 python3-sip socat
  xdg-desktop-portal xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mx-apps mx-boot-options mx-bootrepair mx-cleanup mx-clocky mx-codecs mx-conky mx-conky-data
  mx-docs mx-idevice-mounter mx-iphone mx-iso-template mx-live-usb-maker mx-menu-editor
  mx-network-assistant mx-packageinstaller mx-packageinstaller-pkglist mx-remaster mx-remastercc
  mx-repo-list mx-repo-manager mx-select-sound mx-snapshot mx-switchuser mx-system
  mx-system-sounds mx-timeset-gui mx-tools mx-tweak mx-tweak-data mx-usb-unmounter mx-user
  mx-viewer mx-welcome
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 34 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

which is hardly "everything" but it is alot of menu entries.

anything that shows as autoremovable after that can be made not autoremovable with

apt-mark manual packagenames
where packagenames is a list of individual packages. I suggest copy and pasting from the autoremove list generated after removal of an app.

peace and love and Merry Christmas!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dphn

#8 Post by dphn »

Hi,

you're right. Linux gives you the freedom. You have the choice. Use Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Arch... or MX. Or build your own system from scratch. Linux gives you the freedom, you can do what you want.

Maybe Xfce looks a little bit retro. I personally like it. My end-point of "distro-hopping" was MX and I'm very satisfied with it. Great work by the devs. For you choose another distro with Gnome, KDE. Find your themes, icon-sets, etc. Where is the problem?
for those with an eye for the finer details...

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

@dphn I have to say I, too, am a BIG fan of xfce4. As for the MXtools... also a BIG fan. And as for having the freedom & taking responsibility for tweaking my computing environments, I'm a HUGE fan. :number1:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#10 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I remember having to change over from KDE to Xfce as Mepis "morphed" to MX.

It took a while to get used to, and there were a lot of things that I wanted that weren't there. But I learned to deal with it, and look at me now. I still know nada, I still need help with almost everything that I haven't jotted down, but hey..

My choice? Easy: stick with this team and whatever distro they make because they are the best :happy:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “General”