Fragmentation is Why Linux Hasn’t Succeeded on Desktop: Linus Torvalds

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

Fragmentation is Why Linux Hasn’t Succeeded on Desktop: Linus Torvalds

#1 Post by manyroads »

If you have not read this you may find it interesting...

https://itsfoss.com/desktop-linux-torvalds/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

jeanpaulberes

Re: Fragmentation is Why Linux Hasn’t Succeeded on Desktop: Linus Torvalds

#2 Post by jeanpaulberes »

Partly the truth ... I did also create my own iconset, use my own windows manager and my own created conky, but this shouldn't be a reason to create due to these a new Linux Distribution ! Some Linux Distros shouldn't simply be there, now it is an overwhelming ;-)
:needcoffee:

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

link to an ongoing discussion (several hundred posts at reddit): https://old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... top_linux/
Last edited by skidoo on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#4 Post by j2mcgreg »

But to take the other extreme, one could argue that Microsoft's continuing desire to be a panacea is the root cause of the cyber mess we are in today.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by ChrisUK »

I've used Linux since SuSE Linux 4.2 (late 1990s) - I'm using Linux now on 3 Laptops and 2 Desktop... I, and some of my family, use it every day - How is that failure?
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

PPC

#6 Post by PPC »

Fragmentation is partly the reason for the lack of success (in the desktop world).

@ChrisUK: I have 3 machines, all with 2 antiX's and one MX. I've been a linux user for over a dozen years, but still, in the desktop world, linux is in the very low single digits percentage, so, yes it "failed" to be adopted, to be known my the average computer user.

When someone that doesn't have computer skills has computer problems on Windows, it's easy to give advice how to solve (simple) problems. In linux, there are so many DE's, boot managers, file managers, app installers and so on that a normal, not techie user is left stumped and unable to fix even the simplest problem (I've been there, I still get stumped sometimes, even in MX).
Example:
1- The computer does not boot? Me (to a windows user, over the phone): you have to start in safe mode, I'll tell you how...
2- The computer does not boot? Me (to a newbie hipotetical linux user)- it's a probably a grub problem. You'll have to fix it with a live-usb. The newbie: What's Grub? What's a live-usb?

P.

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

Like skidoo pointed out it's just a clickbait title, that's not what Linus said.

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

Well we don't need click bait... it's okay to kill this thread. I did not notice any clickieness because I didn't follow any internal links. I just scanned the ITSFOSS article.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#9 Post by j2mcgreg »

ChrisUK wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:27 pm I've used Linux since SuSE Linux 4.2 (late 1990s) - I'm using Linux now on 3 Laptops and 2 Desktop... I, and some of my family, use it every day - How is that failure?
It's not. Back in the 50's Nikon Cameras were in a similar position to what the Linux desktop has now. Nikon knew they had a superior product but they had a small market share compared to Asahi Pentax (which invented the SLR).In a stroke of genius Nikon gave each of the top newspapers in the USA a complete set of their 35 mm product line and in short order captured the major market share amongst professional photographers. IBM could do the a similar thing with Redhat. They could outfit a bunch of cash starved schools with linux but using their existing hardware. The schools would get a state of the art operating system for little cash outlay and the students would want Linux at home --> instant market share.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

manyroads wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:21 pm Well we don't need click bait... it's okay to kill this thread. I did not notice any clickieness because I didn't follow any internal links. I just scanned the ITSFOSS article.
No worries, it can lead to good discussions (or maybe not) I merely wanted to point out that Linus Torvalds didn't actually said that.

Return to “General”