Next update give an option for minimal install.

freefreeno

Next update give an option for minimal install.

#1 Post by freefreeno »

Some of us love MX besides the fact it doesnt hardly install on my PC that has a 32 bit uefi but that is a whole different story. I would like to install MX and choose my own software so that I dont have to remove apps and games that will never be clicked on and I am sure there are a lot more us that never use half that stuff. Just an idea please make a small iso for us that dont want anything like office software or samba or printing services. I have never use that stuff and for the people just using linux to use linux and not for work then I am sure thay have never used it either. I am just saying it depends who you are trying to get to use this operating system because you all have he right idea's. I will give a great example. You all include chrome as a downloadable option but you go ahead and install firefox so here I go installing chrome and uninstalling firefox before I do anyhting because I do not want to run updates on a machine and apply updates to software that will be remove two seconds after I update my machine. I will never use firefox and for those people reading this if you have a slow wifi connection USE CHROME and set it up correctly and you will see it is twice as fast at loading pages as firefox. I know you will say but we do this to be an all around system and that does make sense but that is why I am saying just add another iso that is the same thing but without these products. Games,Office software, Anyhting to do with printing,Firefox but add it in in the same place you have chrome under browser's so if people want it they can install it. Call it MX CORE and we will love it. I bet half the downloads you get will be core because some of use do not like removing software. I am not by no means saying I don't like MX Linux. I have taken up for this operating system on sites even when it doesn't install on my PC so it's just an idea and please take it as such.
Last edited by freefreeno on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Next update give an option for minimal install.

#2 Post by fehlix »

freefreeno wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm Some of us love MX besides the fact it doesnt hardly install on my PC that has a 32 bit uefi but that is a whole different story. I would like to install MX and choose my own software so that I dont have to remove apps and gams that will never be clicked on and I am sure there are a lot more us that never use half that stuff. Just an idea please make a small iso for us that dont want anyhting like office software or samba or printing services. I have never use that stuff and for the people just using linux to use linux and not for work then I am sure thay have never used it either.
Not a true answer to the points you raised, but you can already have a minimal install
by removing all the apps you dont like before installing within the running liveSystem and tick the option to keep changes made in Live System. One exception at least, samba is currently part of the default system apps, so it is not as easy to get rid of.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

clicktician

#3 Post by clicktician »

fehlix wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:40 pm by removing all the apps you dont like before installing within the running liveSystem and tick the option to keep changes made in Live System.
This is a very powerful feature, and not many people are aware that you can customize the installation to a very high degree before you run it.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Google reserves the right to distribute Chrome...we don't have the permission.

freefreeno

#5 Post by freefreeno »

I didn't say to add chrome. I said leave chrome just like it is but don't force firefox. Google chrome is already added in the mx package installer under browsers if not completely mistaken so there is no reason to add chrome. Thats how I would want firefox to be offered also so that it has a one click install just like chrome but the person can choose for themselves. Make a welcome with a list of start up things that need to be done with updates first then next menu add programs as in browsers and then codecs and so forth and so on. Its just some people dont like stuff on there computer that will never even get opened much less used.
Last edited by freefreeno on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

freefreeno wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm I didnt say to add chrome. I said leave chrome just like it is but dont force firefox.
As mentioned, before you install, i.e. during the Live Session, just install and uninstall as you want to customize your own minimal install.

freefreeno

#7 Post by freefreeno »

Now this idea is new to me. So I can start a live system and clean it up and then shut down and start back up and install or clean it up and then just hit install then??? Please give me all the details so that when I install I can do this.Thanks in advance. I am not on MX now because the it will not install unless I make my usb with rufus and I am not gonna install windows to just make USB so I am waiting to see what happens in the next month or so I guess you could say. I have a 64 bit PC with 32 bit uefi and the live usb maker for mx will not work for my pc in either mode.

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

freefreeno wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 pm Now this idea is new to me. So I can start a live system and clean it up and then shut down and start back up and install or clean it up and then just hit install then???
With enabled persistence, yes :exclamation:
With no persistence enabled, you would of course loose any changes when shutting down :eek:
You might have a look into the MX User Manual or into MX Wiki - nice stuff there :snail:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you can even use snapshot to make a new iso out of your live-usb, but personally I never bother. I just customize my live-USB and throw it in the drawer for when I need it.

welcome to the antiX live-USB system...which MX uses.

antixlinux.com -- the-most-extensive-live-usb-on-the-planet
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

freefreeno

#10 Post by freefreeno »

Yea too bad the installer is so picky with my machine. I cant get to a windows machine to make myself a usb to even install with at this moment. I do appreciate the the advice. I am not a power user but I have always set my windows iso's up with everything including aplications so I guess that is why I like to add and remove as I please. That is the main reason I came to linux to rid myself of all garbage. Thanks and I guess i will try to find a new method of making myself an mx installer because everyone I have made on any rig besides windows with rufus just refuses to boot.

Return to “General”