New aproval from Austraila

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
Mauser

New aproval from Austraila

#1 Post by Mauser »

Product Review - MX Linux 17.1 October Snapshot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOvCQC3Xss
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Pierre

Re: New aproval from Austraila

#2 Post by Pierre »

it appears that he hasn't played with the MX system, that much, before hand,
but he does give an positive review, though.

- - he does make the usual N00B mistakes, when playing around with the new system.

colin_b

#3 Post by colin_b »

I have seen quite a few videos of people who are new to MX but are familiar with Linux. When it comes to moving the places bar they all right click on the panel and then select panel preferences, but this doesn't allow the places bar to be simply placed at the bottom.

This begs a question. Would it be possible for MX Tweak to be opened when panel preferences is selected rather than the conventional preferences? This would allow newbies to easily move the places bar to wherever it is wanted, and if further panel tweaks are required they are all easily accessible in MX Tweak.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

The problem with customization options is that you will never be able to satisfy every user. It's a little like whack-a-mole. Hit the mole at this hole... the next appears at another hole.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Mauser

#5 Post by Mauser »

Looks like he got it sorted out with help from a YouTuber. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcgJyUFtpmY
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

colin_b

#6 Post by colin_b »

manyroads wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:33 am The problem with customization options is that you will never be able to satisfy every user. It's a little like whack-a-mole. Hit the mole at this hole... the next appears at another hole.
I totally appreciate your point. I made the suggestion because it offers a non-intrusive and intuitive method of moving the places bar for seasoned distro testers whilst having no impact on regular users.

I have seen numerous videos where distro testers review MX for the first time. The places bar is the first thing mentioned in most videos - its position is either loved or hated. The haters tend to do exactly the same as what was done in the Aussie review, they right-click on the bar and try and move it by selecting the places bar panel preferences. Unfortunately this does not offer a simple way to move the bar to the bottom of the screen, and this can result in frustration (and it leaves me screaming "use MX tweak!" at my monitor). The testers generally discover MX tweak, and when this is done the frustration disappears.

Running MX tweak from the panel preferences would eliminate any frustration distro testers may feel when wanting to move the places bar - the solution to the problem would be staring them in the face as soon as panel preferences is selected. It also presents numerous other customization options. The end result is a happy tester.

If a general user needs the actual panel preferences tab it can still be easily accessed via the places bar panel preferences through a single obvious click which is clearly presented by MX tweak.

Richard

#7 Post by Richard »

+1
for making Tweaks more obvious.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Mauser

#8 Post by Mauser »

:idea: Putting in big block letters in the MX Welcome window "OPEN MX TWEAK FIRST" should help those new to MX Linux.

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

Personally.... I'd like to see a light and full version of MX in its next iteration. The light version being one where the 'purchaser' can add the items they like. The idea of a "one-size fits all" with tweaks is odd to me (but then I live in the "arch-world" a lot). I love MX's stability and durability. I think a skinny version would be nice. I, also, like the idea of what PCLinuxOS used to call the "full monty".
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

clicktician

#10 Post by clicktician »

Mauser wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:59 pm :idea: Putting in big block letters in the MX Welcome window "OPEN MX TWEAK FIRST" should help those new to MX Linux.
Haha. Personally, I learn all I need to know about a distro from some guy who just installed it while video recording the process for Youtube.
It's hard to be an MX expert without ever having seen the product before, but that's where our experts seem to be coming from.

I just wish one of these reviewers would actually be forum members and come from a position of even marginal qualification. Wouldn't that be fresh?
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Return to “Testimonials”