Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
colin_b

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#111 Post by colin_b »

Version: 17.1
Rating: 8
Date: 2018-10-31
Votes: 0

Ran MX Linux fjor 6 months and enjoyed the experience, except for one issue; no video codecs for my go-to browser, Vivaldi. I may have missed something but apparently the necessary package is not in the Stretch repository and wasn't to be found in Buster's either. As I'm not willing to compromise when it comes to apps I wish to run, I had to look elsewhere to solve this problem. Other than that, MX Linux rates a 10.
The reviewer obviously didn't search forum posts.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46666

:frustrated:

tascoast

#112 Post by tascoast »

I've been considering adding Fedora to a spare partition on my SATA HDD.

Not a big deal when I added Mint recently, avoiding any Grub changes along the way. Mint is , well, minty fresh and dull but quite functional if you like that sort of thing and are happy with fresh and dull.

But Fedora's installer/partitioner approach is quite discouraging, with the manual not making things very clear. Installing seems a fast track for partition ruination, not something I want to deal with just to try out Fedora. Creating custom mount points and locations, along with size, seem to be particularly obtuse and murky functions.

I didn't have much luck with the latest Puppy and OpenSUSE DVDs I created after Unetbootin efforts to create Live USBs proved erratic in their efficacy.

I have even found a new use for MX-16, being that it somehow picks up a wifi signal some considerable distance away that I can connect to courtesy of my mobile phone provider, using it to trickle download aforementioned *'iso files for research purposes.

I have also added the GKrellM monitor to MX-17, streamlining some of the display panel output and detail. Of note is that an android tethered for internet does display above the usb0 field, although C0nky does not show UP/DN statistics, the latter a topic that came up in a recent thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Mauser

#113 Post by Mauser »

colin_b wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 pm

The reviewer obviously didn't search forum posts.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46666

:frustrated:
That user didn't ask either in the forum by posting a message of the issue that user was having.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

male

#114 Post by male »

tascoast wrote: I have also added the GKrellM monitor to MX-17, streamlining some of the display panel output and detail. Of note is that an android tethered for internet does display above the usb0 field, although C0nky does not show UP/DN statistics, the latter a topic that came up in a recent thread.
The problem is that you can't see anything in the attached pictures because they are too small... 9_9

Stevo
Developer

#115 Post by Stevo »

Here's another lovely 1 out of 10 review from today:
Well. I really liked how the distro looks. Like a set of programs. It features my favorite XFCE desktop environment but... This is an incredible piece of sh*t! It hangs every now and then.

The first time I encountered a hang, was during installation from bootable USB when manually partitioning a hard drive, after pressing an Apply button the system did not respond for 10 minutes and I had to press reset.

A second time was when I updated the system and decided to put nvidia drivers. That was a bad idea as I got a bricked device. The system just did not start after that. I had to tweak GRUB go to terminal and type a special ddm-mx command to remove nvidia drivers.

A third time, I just left the system in login screen for 30mins. When I was back and started typing my password, the system suddenly hung just after I typed a half of my password and no response or any reaction from it. Pressing RESTART again! :(

To sum it up. It is very unstable. No way I am putting it now on my computer.
Seems a bit presumptous to call MX unstable when so many other machines run so great with it. It makes me wonder if the poster got a bad download or has some hardware going bad. Too bad they didn't post any hardware data to help us address any possible issue, just a venting of wrath.

Mauser

#116 Post by Mauser »

In reply of "#115 Unread post by Stevo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:52 pm " This sounds like one of those from a certain Linux distro's community that is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum. I know from my own experience and is why I am using MX Linux and not that distro as I don't associate with trash like that. For Stevo and the rest of the MX Linux development team I know those comments hurt from that trash who posted those lies, but don't take that trash's comments seriously because that's they way they are.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Richard

#117 Post by Richard »

For some people, the problem is always something or someone else.
Guess we'll never know the OP's real problem.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

colin_b

#118 Post by colin_b »

Only one drawback here, but on both machines: suspend/resume does not work as expected. Sometimes I get logged out on resume (on both machines). This is frustrating if you have some work open.

Other distros did not have these problems on these machines.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#119 Post by Jerry3904 »

Without info on GPU, kernel, etc. it's hard to do much. Most of the time in my limited realm of experience, the "other distros" are usually running later software versions of one kind or another.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

colin_b

#120 Post by colin_b »

Across the board, whether it's Intel or AMD built-in GPU, discreet PCI or PCI-e video cards using AMD or Nvidia chipsets, in all my use case scenarios dual-monitor support is iffy and require lots of fiddling. Laptop lid closing detection and management is a major problem as FX does not properly detect ACPI "signals" and ignores that the display went in sleep mode. So, I had to write a script and attach it to a function key so that I can "wake-up" the display when I need to. This is not limited to one particular laptop brand or model, basically it happens on HP, ACER and LENOVO. On these same laptops I never encountered this problem with Mint 18.3.

Return to “General”