Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#101 Post by Jerry3904 »

So I'm just saying, keep the one in Stable Repo and withdraw the Test Repo version.
Agreed. Sent a msg to pkgrs asking them to pease look at that.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#102 Post by richb »

I am not sure if that is good. We tout "it just works". This flatpack model reminds me in some ways of Windows in that users go on the net and grab a program from an unknown source. Flatpack seems to mirror that. I maybe missing something. In any case I will cease and desist It is only my opinion and unlikely to change anyone's mind.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Buck Fankers

#103 Post by Buck Fankers »

richb wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 am This flatpack model reminds me in some ways of Windows in that users go on the net and grab a program from an unknown source. Flatpack seems to mirror that. I maybe missing something. In any case I will cease and desist It is only my opinion and unlikely to change anyone's mind.
I already got rid of it... No flatpack for me

sunrat

#104 Post by sunrat »

richb wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 am I am not sure if that is good. We tout "it just works". This flatpack model reminds me in some ways of Windows in that users go on the net and grab a program from an unknown source. Flatpack seems to mirror that. I maybe missing something. In any case I will cease and desist It is only my opinion and unlikely to change anyone's mind.
+2. I don't plan to ever use it or Snaps or Appimages. It's pretty rare that a newer version has features that are essential unless one has SNS syndrome.
I have looked at a couple and was scared away merely by their size, but I think it's fundamentally bad for Linux to do packaging the Windows way.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#105 Post by Jerry3904 »

<annoyance>
I'm getting bit tired of Fedora users knocking MX, giving it very low scores because it doesn't do what Fedora does.
</annoyance>
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

#106 Post by asqwerth »

I don't actually get bothered so much by the negative reviews there. Sometimes they have a point (like the flatpak thing) and sometimes they don't.

You can't please everyone all of the time, and most readers of the reviews will assess the comments with some commonsense. Where they have a point, we can act on it. Where they don't, the weight of the evidence of the other more positive reviews will help readers decide.

Also, as someone who long ago installed Fedora LXDE (bleh) and is still using Korora Gnome, I can say that:

1. the Fedora installer is pretty intimidating and not so easy to use;
2. without Korora making the Fedora base easier to use by enabling by default the non-free RPMFusion repos and preinstalling things like non-free codecs, etc, Fedora is not as user-friendly as MX to set up in my opinion. Is it really more intuitive? Hmm.

Pretty subjective, IMO.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Redacted

#107 Post by Redacted »

richb wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 am I am not sure if that is good. We tout "it just works". This flatpack model reminds me in some ways of Windows in that users go on the net and grab a program from an unknown source. Flatpack seems to mirror that. I maybe missing something. In any case I will cease and desist
+3
I've never had joy from flatpacks I've tried previously in Mint and now in MX, and the lack of developer control worries me. (I mean the developers of the OS I'm using).
But as richb said
It is only my opinion and unlikely to change anyone's mind.

Stevo
Developer

#108 Post by Stevo »

I asked Tim to pull 1.0.4 from the TR.

Redacted

#109 Post by Redacted »

Great picture! Will you do my tombstone?

Stevo
Developer

#110 Post by Stevo »

Redacted wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:09 pm Great picture! Will you do my tombstone?
That's kind of morbid, but it fits the season. But you can make your own easily at that site.

Return to “General”