HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 (4) @ 3.1GHz
Memory: 9985MB
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info

Adrian
Developer

Re: MX-18

#32 Post by Adrian »

I think asqwerth meant that we don't need a MX new release for that, just a simple MX Package Installer update (if that is available somewhere in Debian sources or compilable to Stretch)

darknetmatrix

#33 Post by darknetmatrix »

Ok, tnx. for the answer
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 (4) @ 3.1GHz
Memory: 9985MB
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info

asqwerth
Developer

#34 Post by asqwerth »

Yes.

Adrian asked what you would like to see in MX18 that isn't already in the monthly snapshots for MX17. MX18, if there is one coming out end of the year, will still be Debian Stretch, just like MX17. Whatever packages and tools are updated in MX17 will be seen in any MX18.

It's just a matter of what you think should be installed by default (or removed from default) on the iso image, whether you want new artwork, having a new default kernel (that's probably the main and most important reason for a release right now I think, due to security reasons).

For a request to add to the Popular Apps list in MXPI, just post a request in the Bug reports and non-Package requests subforum for the Dev Team to consider. But like Adrian said, the first question is whether Deepin is already in the Debian repos and if not, whether it can be packaged to work in Debian Stretch/MX17.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

kmathern
Developer

#35 Post by kmathern »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:36 am But like Adrian said, the first question is whether Deepin is already in the Debian repos and if not, whether it can be packaged to work in Debian Stretch/MX17.
I see Deepin packages in Sid and Buster when searching at packages.debian.org: https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... rds=deepin
There's also this ppa here: https://launchpad.net/~leaeasy/+archive/ubuntu/dde

Don't know how many them would actually need to be built to provide a complete Deepin environment. It looks like it would be a good deal more work than the usual package request, more like backporting KDE, XFCE, etc.

Mauser

#36 Post by Mauser »

I hope to see full disk encryption in MX-18 and fix the window size inconsistency with some applications.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Stevo
Developer

#37 Post by Stevo »

darknetmatrix wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:57 am
Adrian wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 pm
darknetmatrix wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 pm boys ... I only asked when mx18 started to see the light of day and did not expect a discussion about the numbering, this is something that the developers have to determine imo.
I'm curious though what you'd want to see in MX-18 that is different than the monthly snapshot (MX-17.1 + all pool updates)?
Maybe if it's possible to add the deepin desktop environment to the Mx-package installer?
The last that I looked at the Debian deepin porting project, it was only being ported to upstream Debian, and needed a newer Qt 5 to build than we have in MX 17. If it's in Debian 10, we can add it when are based on that version.

log

#38 Post by log »

Adrian wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 pm
darknetmatrix wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 pm boys ... I only asked when mx18 started to see the light of day and did not expect a discussion about the numbering, this is something that the developers have to determine imo.
I'm curious though what you'd want to see in MX-18 that is different than the monthly snapshot (MX-17.1 + all pool updates)?
If you are generally curious about oddball stuff people might be trying to use with MX then with me it's ZFS, Looking Glass and the various virtualization utilities. It's the latter that benefit from that latest and greatest kernel stuff.

Windows has always been my primary operating system, but for the last few years I've had great and mostly easy success using Openmediavault (also debian based) and ZFS to store my files, slowly picking up capability on the way. My ultimate goal is set up MX17/18 on zfs and to be able to boot straight to it. It's possible to install debian straight onto ZFS thanks to some guides and a script, but I'm going to be doing it backwards, which will be less prone to the need for nested problem solving. I'm going to install MX as normal, create a zfs partition, duplicate the files over, redirect the boot "stuff", and it should work out fine. This has an added bonus of having a fallback os in case things break. ZFS seems to work fine in MX from my limited tests, which makes sense due to the debian base.

The other piece of the puzzle is virtualization of a windows machine with pcie passthrough and using looking glass instead of a second monitor and keyboard/mouse. This is gonna take a while for me to get right, there's a lot of variables involved and fixes/updates are constantly happening, creating significant changes for the better. Here's a good example of something that was recently discovered in qemu.

I'm busy with some benchmarks right now since the topic came up and now is an ideal time for them, but after that I'm gonna get back to trying to rig things into working, make a huge mess, blow it all up and do it all again. I'm taking notes along the way, both about my setup, as well as various MX specific usability wishes or issues, and once I have everything finally figured out, I'll blow it up and redo everything a final time and create a guide to follow along in the footsteps of my questionable life choices.

Good job with this distro by the way, used it for about 3 weeks and it's been much better than other distros I've tested in the past. It's especially nice after I attempted to use debian (stable and testing) while benchmarking. Frankly it's a pain, way too much stuff to have to fix right at the bat.
Last edited by log on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

duane

#39 Post by duane »

I think it is more confusing to change the way you have been doing things.
I would like things to remain as they are for the sake of continuity.
This way the release based on buster would be MX19.
That makes the most sense to me.
Just my two cents.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Richard

#40 Post by Richard »

I don't think MX Linux is changing their plan.

Some people like to try out things.
A stable base is appreciated when doing things that might break it.
It is easier to return to a stable base --via a snapshot from a known good state.

It's all interesting even though I have no plans to use anything but Xfce.
Last edited by Richard on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “General”