[solved]How to personalize antix

Dernafrest404

[solved]How to personalize antix

#1 Post by Dernafrest404 »

Hello I'm new in this forum and I just installed antix for almost a month but I do not understand how to customize my desktop with space-fluxbox.
I would like to change the lower bar theme and also change icon theme but I see that it is not as ubuntu that just create a folder and the theme changes.
can someone give me some guidelines?
also I can not even change the colors of text and other elements because lxsession is not the manager, how can I set it as default handler?
sorry for my bad english
Last edited by Dernafrest404 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: How to personalize antix

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

for the icons, you can change the theme in the Control Center - Customize Look and Feel.

as for the bottom bar...the theme there is controlled by the fluxbox themes. the themes are select-able in the system menu under fluxbox settings -> themes.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

PondLife

#3 Post by PondLife »

This is a old video but should give you an idea on how to get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnTwZtH ... SfVrt&t=0s

azrielle

#4 Post by azrielle »

Is it possible to put application shortcuts (& icons) on the desktop (or for that matter the bottom panel) in Fluxbox?
[As opposed to right clicking on the desktop and scrolling through the menus?]
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you can put them on the desktop, but not on the fluxbox panel. I usually just add stuff to the "personal" menu via the menu-manager in the control center.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Buck Fankers

#6 Post by Buck Fankers »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:42 am you can put them (application shortcuts) on the desktop...
Anyone have any link handy that shows how to do this?
Also, is it possible to put file on a desktop or link to it or link to a folder?

FungalNet

#7 Post by FungalNet »

If you use either pcmanfm or spacefm
you can try
$ pcmanfm --desktop

$ pcmanfm --desktop-off
to turn it off, as a desktop manager. By default anything on your ~/Desktop will be on the desktop as folders or files.
You can configure it simply by:
$ pcmanfm --desktop-configure

I think spacefm works about the same way
$ spacefm --desktop

You can set desktop wallpaper within their configurations. Basically you are using the filemanager as a desktop manager. I don't use this stuff on my own, I like a clean surface with some conky modules running, but when I fix a system for someone else I have done it for them since it reminds them of mswindows. It works on openbox (basically it is like making lxde out of openbox) , awesome, jwm, .... I am clueless of kde gnome mate stuff.
I bet it works fine on fluxb and blackb

antiX-Dave
Developer

#8 Post by antiX-Dave »

Adding stuff to the desktop you can use the add desktop program or copy this desktop files from /usr/share/applications to ~/Desktop

PPC

#9 Post by PPC »

Hi, antiX and MX linux user here...

A tip to getting and using more icon themes: I was trying to personalize the antiX I have in my netbook so it looks more similar to the MX I'm used to on my desktop. I never tried instaling icon themes, so I searched online for MX icon theme "Papirus", downloaded it and then went to Control Center - Customize Look and Feel - clicked install, entered the path to my icon theme and it instantly appeared on the icon theme list and I was able to select it.
MX is, in a way derived from antiX- and with a larger user base- would it not make sense to have the same icon themes and so on, available on antiX? They use diferent desktop managers, but the way I use my computers, most of the time, I hardly click on the start menu, I have my most used programs on the taskbar (browsers, office and filemanager) so, if the screen looks almost the same I don't have to think "wait, where do I click now?" for half a second.

Two questions related to antiX personalization:
1- Is there a way use ARC's window manager theme from MX in antiX icewm? Also use the same taskbar color and start menu icon? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not much into personalization...
2- I belive that icon themes and window manager themes do not affect memory usage, am I right (I mean do all themes the same ammount of ram?)

skidoo

#10 Post by skidoo »

debian package "fbpanel"
docs & screenshots here: http://aanatoly.github.io/fbpanel/
addition docs/tips here: http://lxlinux.com/fbpanel.html
It supports custom application launcher buttons, can be used alongside (or instead of) the native fluxbox panel.
You can also run multiple instances of fbpanel simultaneously (dock one to the top-left side of screen, another to the right-center...)

Also, this custom version of fluxbox https://github.com/antix-skidoo/fluxbox contains panel support for custom buttons.
It's not packaged; for instructions howto self-compile, refer to the "INSTALL" doc

A further alternative panel application suitable for use with fluxbox is the debian package "tint2"

Return to “antiX”