Stop a package from updating

mitnworb

Stop a package from updating

#1 Post by mitnworb »

Not sure if this is the right group to post this but I have hopefully a simple question that I haven't found an answer to yet.

How do I stop a package from updating because I know the update will stop it from working for me.

(Kaffeine - version 1.22 is the version I use that simply sees my Hauppage card or USB receiver and works.) Part of the problem also is I don't know enough yet how to make the latest version of Kaffeine work or other packages for that matter. So if it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it. Thanks in advance.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Stop a package from updating

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you can lock the version.

try
apt-mark hold packagename
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

PPC

#3 Post by PPC »

Hi: try what's here: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/help-files/help-synaptic

"Pinning

Sometimes you may want to pin an application to a specific version to keep it from being upgraded in order to avoid problems with more recent ones. This is easy to do:

Open Synaptic, supply the root password, and click Reload.
Click on Installed in the panel on the left, then find and highlight the package you want to pin in the panel on the right.
On the menu bar, click Package > Lock version...
Synaptic will highlight the package in red and add a lock icon to the first column.
To unlock, highlight the package again and click Package > Lock version (which will have a check mark).
Note that pinning via Synaptic does not prevent the package from being upgraded when using the command line."

I hope this helps...

P.

mitnworb

#4 Post by mitnworb »

Thanks so much, that is exactly what I was looking for. I searched and searched but sometimes the easiest things are right under you nose I guess.

Return to “General”