Package request - MusE sequencer

sunrat

Package request - MusE sequencer

#1 Post by sunrat »

MusE is a MIDI/Audio sequencer with recording and editing capabilities written originally by Werner Schweer now developed and maintained by the MusE development team. MusE aims to be a complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux, it is published under the GNU General Public License.
I installed 2.1.2-3+b1 from the Stretch repo and it just froze at it's splash screen. Built 3.0.2 from their website and it seems to work fine so far. It would be nice to have it available from MX repo.
http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Download

Stevo
Developer

Re: Package request - MusE sequencer

#2 Post by Stevo »

The Debian versions are built with Qt 4, and I see their home page mentions Qt 5. Did you build 3.0.2 with Qt 5?

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Made these changes, and it builds, installs, and runs:

Code: Select all

* debian/control and rules: build against Qt 5 instead of Qt 4.
  * Update debian/copyright to 2018.
  * Disable automatic dbgsym files.
  * Refresh 1001-buildsystem.patch and 1003-desktop.patch, drop
    1002-abs-errors.patch.
It should also build on MX 15, according to the docs, so I'm trying those builds now.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

It's now in the MX 15/16 and 17 test repos.

MisterZ

#5 Post by MisterZ »

@sunrat
MusE is really buggy for any serious production work, always has been ... Qtractor can do anything MusE can do but better. Then, of course, there is Rosegarden for midi work, piano-roll, etc. as well ... (install Qsynth and have some good sf2 soundfonts available).

Then there is the way-cool sequencer-iracker SunVox:
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/

Great tutorials playlist here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OxPpN6 ... nzpcvMjDOW

Qtractor, Rosegarden, Qsynth, and SunVox for the heavy-lifting ... Audacity for touch-ups ... and finally Reaper (using KXStudio's repo Wine installation only) with all your favorite mastering VSTs at your fingertips. MX-17 is free to use ... Reaper is a steal at $60.00. Nothing beats this combo for serious audio production on Linux!

My two cents ...

Cheers

MisterZ

#6 Post by MisterZ »

@sunrat

Almost forgot! Audacious for your audio and midi playback ... lightweight and full-featured.
so long for now ...

sunrat

#7 Post by sunrat »

@MisterZ MusE was mainly for a request to add it to my MXStudio unofficial respin. I managed to make a drum track in it so far but want to test it a bit more.
I use Audacious and Qtractor already and have licences for Reaper and Harrison Mixbus. Hopefully will get a handle on MIDI tracks and composing in Mixbus soon but that feature is still under heavy development. Mixbus is currently my favourite DAW for mixing audio tracks.
Stevo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:32 pm It's now in the MX 15/16 and 17 test repos.
Thanks Stevo! I'll test it in the next few days.

app4soft

#8 Post by app4soft »

Stevo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:32 pm It's now in the MX 15/16 and 17 test repos.
May you package MusE 3.1.0 release? (including for MX 19.x)

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

I'll take a look at it.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”