Transfer Windows 8 installation to a new drive

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Transfer Windows 8 installation to a new drive

#11 Post by chrispop99 »

fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:16 pm
chrispop99 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 pm I researched this recently, and it seemed common wisdom advised this as the best method:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
I didn't clone the install in the end so can't speak of its efficacy.
IIRC, you have to install it first and you have to enter you email adress to download.
Which brought me back to a Linux based version ;=)
Well indeed, but that's what throw-away email is for!

I spent quite a while looking for the best way of doing this, and it stood out head and shoulders over other methods.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

fehlix
Developer

#12 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:05 pm Also, if you want to try, I think I have around an Acronis True Image license that I got when I bought an SSD... let me know if you want it (it might be for an older version though).
You have to be cautious. Have you read the license agreement? Even if you got something for free, you might not have explicitl permission to offer or to give it away for free. And certainly we shall not offer such if uncertain here in the forum :p
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Adrian
Developer

#13 Post by Adrian »

fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm
Adrian wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:05 pm Also, if you want to try, I think I have around an Acronis True Image license that I got when I bought an SSD... let me know if you want it (it might be for an older version though).
You have to be cautious. Have you read the license agreement? Even if you got something for free, you might not have explicitl permission to offer or to give it away for free. And certainly we shall not offer such if uncertain here in the forum :p
I haven't used the license, I'm pretty sure it's good for one use and they don't care who exactly uses that license. But yeah, whatever, free programs are preferred, that's why I haven't use it, I used Clonezilla for my needs.

fehlix
Developer

#14 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:47 pm
fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm
I haven't used the license, I'm pretty sure it's good for one use and they don't care who exactly uses that license. But yeah, whatever, free programs are preferred, that's why I haven't use it, I used Clonezilla for my needs.
I know it's probably not an issue... but you never know in what mood some guys are, readin this forum. That's rather also for other reading this, not to offer to share softeware, which is not intended as such...

sunrat

#15 Post by sunrat »

I migrated a Windows install to a new Samsung SSD recently for a friend. Samsung's Data Migration Software worked perfectly. I recommend it for a Samsung SSD but not sure if it would work otherwise.

m_pav
Developer

#16 Post by m_pav »

Before you do anything, kill all the unnecessary restore points to regain oodles of space before you start. The Windows 8 defaults to an exceedingly large percentage of available space for system restore points, I've seen values like 40%, installed size 24GB with Office and plugins, then restore points using a whopping 40GB more.

Using Linux, you can also safely delete from the windows partition hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and there's one more I can't recall because it's not always present before cloning. Commercial tools like Acronis and Ghost do not copy these files when making a disk image or cloning a drive because they are dynamic and Windows recreates them on the next startup anyway. This step will save you oodles of time when using smart cloning tool like clonezilla.

Personally, I use the Imaging/cloning toolset included with the Parted Magic Live disk image because it bundles I think 5 utilities into a single tool that examines the contents and uses the best option from the 5 to use. I can't give names of these because I'm in my once in a while night on Windows to do some work stuff after hours and don't have access to my arsenal of tools on ext4 drives.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

fehlix
Developer

#17 Post by fehlix »

m_pav wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:45 am Personally, I use the Imaging/cloning toolset included with the Parted Magic Live disk image because it bundles I think 5 utilities into a single tool that examines the contents and uses the best option from the 5 to use. ...
IIRC, PartedMagic integrates clonezilla (at least) into it's offering for cloning, besides lot's of other very usefull tools.
Very good toolset-box live linux distro, highly recommended!
This reminds me to remember, why not just run clonezilla from our latest MX17.1_September-ISO
And perhaps we might think about adding latest clonezilla under Popular Apps within MX Package installer ;)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

And perhaps we might think about adding latest clonezilla under Popular Apps within MX Package installer
I like that--can you add it to the Dev thread about MX-18 brainstorming so we remember?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

#19 Post by fehlix »

Jerry3904 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 am
And perhaps we might think about adding latest clonezilla under Popular Apps within MX Package installer
I like that--can you add it to the Dev thread about MX-18 brainstorming so we remember?
I'll do with pleasure.

baldyeti

#20 Post by baldyeti »

I have a question wrt clonezilla.
I have used it in the past to transfer WinXP(or Win7) to bigger disks, and it worked perfectly, even fixing the (NT) bootloader.
Does that still work with WIn8/10 and possibly UEFI/GPT instead of BIOS/MBR partitioning, or does one need extra step(s) to get a working bootloader ?

Return to “General”