Transfer Windows 8 installation to a new drive

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Transfer Windows 8 installation to a new drive

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

I keep a Windows 8 laptop (Dell XPS 13) primarily for business use when necessary. I would now like to dual boot with MX, so have bought a new SSD with twice the capacity. I have web-searched the topic, and tried various supposedly easy proprietary apps to create a bootable Windows image, but without success.

I am wondering now if I could use perhaps use dd to transfer everything to a big USB drive, swap out the SSDs, and copy it back in. Would that work? Alternatives?

Thanks for any help.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

Re: Transfer Windows 8 installation to a new drive

#2 Post by fehlix »

clonezilla
EDIT: Go through the pcitures here ,
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/Kl ... Clonezilla
you don't need to read the text in German, (I'm sure you can ;=)
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

c4os

#3 Post by c4os »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:53 am I keep a Windows 8 laptop (Dell XPS 13) primarily for business use when necessary. I would now like to dual boot with MX, so have bought a new SSD with twice the capacity. I have web-searched the topic, and tried various supposedly easy proprietary apps to create a bootable Windows image, but without success.

I am wondering now if I could use perhaps use dd to transfer everything to a big USB drive, swap out the SSDs, and copy it back in. Would that work? Alternatives?

Thanks for any help.
Hi Jerry,

first I have to say I'm a little bit envious to your XPS 13! ;)
Second, yes this should work.
My experience was from a small to a bigger device is possible. So you can copy your small disk with dd direct to your big disk with an usb adapter.
Or you can make a backup from you small disk to an usb drive. Swap to the big disk and recover the backup.
But you have to boot a live linux like the best MXlinux and check your disks with sudo fdisk -l before!

Command for make a backup small disk --> usb drive:

Code: Select all

$ sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=1M status=progress | gzip > YOUR_MOUNTED_USBDRIVE/backup_from_small_disk.img.gz
With the compression you will need only the disk space of the disk data, not the drive space.

Now you can swap your small disk with your big disk.

Command for make a recover usb drive --> big disk:

$ gunzip -cd YOUR_MOUNTED_USBDRIVE/backup_from_small_disk.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sda bs=1M status=progress
Command for direct disk copy small disk --> usb adapter --> big disk:

$ sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress
You can try all options. You only need to be sure NOT writing on your small disk! ;)
Powered on: MX 17 Horizon x86_64
Hardware: Dell Latitude E4300 - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 (2) @ 2.535GHz - Memory: 4GB
Style: Resolution: 1280x800 - WM Theme: Balou - Theme: Blackbird [GTK2/3] - Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2]

dreamer

#4 Post by dreamer »

I have had good luck with MiniTool Partition Wizard (free version).
Check this tutorial and also read the comments below it.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/mi ... sd-hd.html
Good luck!

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

when moving these windows, you'll have the best luck if you can clone the entire drive. I had trouble recently moving just partitions.

even then, you may have issues when booting windows if the machine has changed too much...
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

Use clonezilla, and like D_O mentioned use the full drive copy, don't copy only the partition. I think if you sign in to Windows with a MS account it should save the license ti your account (depending on the license type I think) so that might help you reactivate if you need.

fehlix
Developer

#7 Post by fehlix »

This Disk-to-Disk-Clone HowTo on Clonzilla web-site should work too:
Disk_to_disk_clone
Leave the target size as the source size, and expand later with Gparted.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#8 Post by chrispop99 »

I researched this recently, and it seemed common wisdom advised this as the best method:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

I didn't clone the install in the end so can't speak of its efficacy.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Adrian
Developer

#9 Post by Adrian »

Also, if you want to try, I think I have around an Acronis True Image license that I got when I bought an SSD... let me know if you want it (it might be for an older version though).

fehlix
Developer

#10 Post by fehlix »

chrispop99 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 pm I researched this recently, and it seemed common wisdom advised this as the best method:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
I didn't clone the install in the end so can't speak of its efficacy.
IIRC, you have to install it first and you have to enter you email adress to download.
Which brought me back to a Linux based version ;=)

Return to “General”