How can I deactivte my Bluetooth applet?

c4os

How can I deactivte my Bluetooth applet?

#1 Post by c4os »

Hi folks,

why I don't need so often I want to deactivate my Bluetooth applet.
In terminal it works fine with "rfkill block bluetooth".
So I added it's to the /etc/rc.local file, but it wont work.
Also with .bashrc or .profile wont work.

Next I created a desktop file called Bluetooth-stop.desktop with the content below and placed it's to the folder $HOME/.config/autostart.
The Bluetooth disabler itself works fine from menu, when I add it's to $HOME/local/applications.

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Bluetooth disabler
Comment=deactivates Bluetooth service
Exec=/usr/sbin/rfkill block bluetooth
Icon=blueman
#Terminal=true
Type=Application
#Categories=ConsoleOnly;Utility;
Keywords=theme switch tool;console;
Additionally I removed the file $HOME/.config/autostart/Blueman-start.desktop.

Non of them works for me.

Is there a special trick to deactivate the bluetooth?
Powered on: MX 17 Horizon x86_64
Hardware: Dell Latitude E4300 - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 (2) @ 2.535GHz - Memory: 4GB
Style: Resolution: 1280x800 - WM Theme: Balou - Theme: Blackbird [GTK2/3] - Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2]

fehlix
Developer

Re: How can I deactivte my Bluetooth applet?

#2 Post by fehlix »

c4os wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 am Additionally I removed the file $HOME/.config/autostart/Blueman-start.desktop.
Removing within user's autostart folder will still left enabled system start-entries

You might better check Settings-> Session Startup and deactivate bluethooth related Start-entries here.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

c4os

#3 Post by c4os »

fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 am
c4os wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 am Additionally I removed the file $HOME/.config/autostart/Blueman-start.desktop.
Removing within user's autostart folder will still left enabled system start-entries

You might better check Settings-> Session Startup and deactivate bluethooth related Start-entries here.
There's a option at Session Startup for disabling Bluetooth-Applet.
But I don't want to disable the applet. I want to keep the applet at the tray, only want it's deactivated.
Because Bluetooth shows of at the deactivated applet and I can it turn on if I want.
How can I turn it on if the applet is disabled (not at the tray)?
Hardware: Dell Latitude E4300 - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 (2) @ 2.535GHz - Memory: 4GB
Style: Resolution: 1280x800 - WM Theme: Balou - Theme: Blackbird [GTK2/3] - Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2]

tascoast

#4 Post by tascoast »

Is Turn Bluetooth Off/on in the blueman panel notification icon menu (default right-click of mouse) not suitable for your requirements?

I believe there may be a desktop keyboard shortcut, or switch on laptop computers available too.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

c4os

#5 Post by c4os »

tascoast wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm Is Turn Bluetooth Off/on in the blueman panel notification icon menu (default right-click of mouse) not suitable for your requirements?

I believe there may be a desktop keyboard shortcut, or switch on laptop computers available too.
Yes it is. That my current solution.

daleq

#6 Post by daleq »

First, THANKS! to all that make MX possible. I've been using for a couple of weeks and am really appreciating how well everything works!

This is a tiny nit, but I too am interested in having bluetooth be "off" until I purposely turn it on (which will be almost never). I understand it's easy to right-click and "Turn BlueTooth off", but I'm lazy... :-)

I presume this would save a tiny bit of battery and be a tiny bit more secure.

But really, MX is very, very lovely and I'm so glad to be using it. Thanks again!
Dale

zaivala

#7 Post by zaivala »

I completely agree with daleq above. I do not need my Bluetooth applet, as there is no Bluetooth adapter on my t430 laptop. I hate having to deactivate it each time. It is not shown in the Startup Applications list, so I can't disable it there. The places where this applet IS referenced require you to turn it ON to do anything. Please, please, please help me get rid of this annoying, useless icon.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

As is true for any application that autostarts: go to Settings > Startup and Session > Application Autostart tab and uncheck the box for blueman-applet.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

anticapitalista
Developer

#9 Post by anticapitalista »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:48 am As is true for any application that autostarts: go to Settings > Startup and Session > Application Autostart tab and uncheck the box for blueman-applet.
Or, remove the app using synaptic
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

entropyfoe

#10 Post by entropyfoe »

On my work stations (no bluetooth hardware), during the installation of MX, you can un-check bluetooth, and it will not be installed.
I realize it is too late for the OP, but as a note for future installs.

Many services (samba and others for example) can be selected/de-selected in an "advanced tab" in the installer.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Return to “Software / Configuration”