PulseAudio Equalizer

Mauser

PulseAudio Equalizer

#1 Post by Mauser »

Since using Linux I have been asking the Linux community for an equalizer and so have some other people have also with the result of just hearing crickets. Finally the request has been answered. I don't recall if I ever asked the MX team but I came across this video of the PulseAudio Equalizer which I hope in the future the developers can integrate it into MX Linux or at least add it to the repo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdPWKvC5SSs
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

sunrat

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer

#2 Post by sunrat »

It's already available from the Debian repo.

Code: Select all

apt install pulseaudio-equalizer
You may need some of the hints from that video to set it up. Arch wiki offers some help - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... #Equalizer

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

As already noted in its other thread, it requires newer gstreamer libs than MX 17 has. We have those in our experimental repo, but they seem to break other packages.

sunrat

#4 Post by sunrat »

Stevo wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:22 pm As already noted in its other thread, it requires newer gstreamer libs than MX 17 has. We have those in our experimental repo, but they seem to break other packages.
@Stevo - you're not confusing with pulse-effects (which is not in Debian repo)? pulseaudio-equalizer is in Stretch. It doesn't have direct dependencies on gstreamer.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/pul ... -equalizer

I haven't tested it though. My system sounds great without eq through my ADAM A5X studio monitors. ;)

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

sunrat wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:36 pm I haven't tested it though. My system sounds great without eq through my ADAM A5X studio monitors. ;)
Just installed, from MXPI, seems to work for me on MX17.1 amd64:
pa-equal.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

plzd

#6 Post by plzd »

Just installed, from MXPI, seems to work for me on MX17.1 amd64:
@fehlix
Please forgive my ignorance, but how exactly (each step you took) did you get this to work?
Thanks very much.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that you have to go to the Archwiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... #Equalizer

So then, to get this to work, the steps would be to

1) Install pulseaudio-equalizer from the regular MX repo using MX Package Installer or Synaptic Package Manager, or in the terminal

sudo apt install pulseaudio-equalizer
2) Type code in terminal:

pactl load-module module-equalizer-sink
(press enter), then

pactl load-module module-dbus-protocol
(press enter), then

3) Type qpaeq in the terminal (and press enter) to get equalizer GUI to come up (yay, it works!) -- but only temporarily. To make it permanent you will have to:

4) Edit the your pulseaudio default.pa file found in /etc/pulse/. You will have to edit the file as ROOT, adding

### Load the integrated PulseAudio equalizer and D-Bus module
load-module module-equalizer-sink
load-module module-dbus-protocol
at the end of the body of text.

To start Pulseaudio Equalizer you will have to manually launch it by entering qpaeq in the Application Finder (Alt+F2), or by typing it in the terminal (and press enter). Or, better yet, create an app launcher for it on the XFCE panel.

PS - I've always wondered why when, in the past, after install pulseaudio-equlizer, that I couldn't find it or an icon to launch it anywhere. I had no idea that it required extra steps like when installing qpaeq from wget, etc.

Thanks for helping me bump into to putting all the pieces together. :)
Last edited by plzd on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

fehlix
Developer

#7 Post by fehlix »

Thanks, for writing down the stepps :number1: , which I was to lazy to do so :bagoverhead:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Mauser

#8 Post by Mauser »

sunrat wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:10 pm It's already available from the Debian repo.

You may need some of the hints from that video to set it up. Arch wiki offers some help - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... #Equalizer
It won't install that way. Is there a G.U.I. way of installing it? For example like using Synaptic? What do I type into Synaptic because I tried to find it but couldn't.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

Mauser wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:59 pm
sunrat wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:10 pm It's already available from the Debian repo.

It won't install that way. Is there a G.U.I. way of installing it? For example like using Synaptic? What do I type into Synaptic because I tried to find it but couldn't.
pulseaudio-equalizer

EDIT: Installed from synaptic but will not run and cannot be found when run in terminal.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Mauser

#10 Post by Mauser »

richb wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:01 pm
Mauser wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:59 pm

pulseaudio-equalizer
Thanks. It shows that it's installed but it's nowhere to be found on my computer. :(

Return to “General”