Tor in the Wiki out of date

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
Jerry3904
Administrator

Tor in the Wiki out of date

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

I never use Tor, but triggered by a question on our Reddit site I looked at our Wiki entry--ooph!

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/networking/tor

Looking for some help in updating that, so here is the current text (I omit the installation content which concerns only MX-14):
Introduction

Tor website: "Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security." It is based on the concept of onion routing in which information negotiates a "virtual circuit" through the network; each node knows its predecessor and successor, but no others.

Installation

Use MX Package Installer, which will install ... [ADD]

Use

The package can be put on a LiveUSB with MX Linux, or installed on your desktop.

Apart from using Tor for your browser traffic, you can also act as a relay, which means you offer some of your bandwidth to be used by others. If you have a broadband connection, this is of course a very nice thing to do and it helps the global Tor community to prevent the Tor network from getting saturated. More on the Tor website.

Tips and Tricks

The use of Tor may slow down your browsing significantly.

To check and see if Tor is working properly, type in http://whatismyipaddress.com with using first your standard browser and then again using the Tor Browser. You will see a different location if Tor is working.

VPN?

Links

Wikipedia
Tor Wiki
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

Re: Tor in the Wiki out of date

#2 Post by fehlix »

If you don't mind, I'd suggest:
- to drastically shorten and simplify the wiki entry. Something like the following idea:
"To protect your privacy, you can connect to the Internet via the secure tor-network using the
tor-browser available through MXPI. Please note the usage instructions and warnings on the tor-website."

And
- to follow the recommendations on the tor website and offer just the tor-browser bundle for installation with MXPI
Note: We would need to package the easy to use tor-browser bundle.

For experts who want to turn their box into a tor-protected box, we could continue to offer the current full tor package.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks, it certainly needs rethinking at this point.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

That was a quick wiki fix :exclamation: Might be we should offer the tor-browser as installation option including menu entries through MXPI. In addition I feel there is lot of confusion going out there re tor and vpn - I mean from technical perspective and how to setup this. Let's see how we can settle this in a further addition to the wiki.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Documentation and videos”