MX Cleanup

Este forum es para los usuarios de MX hispanoparlantes
colin_b

Re: MX Cleanup

#31 Post by colin_b »

I see what you mean. I wasn't sure what the lists were. Just out of curiosity, are the lists automatically deleted when the lists are updated?

Adrian
Developer

#32 Post by Adrian »

I think if you remove a source the corresponding list is deleted after apt-get update, otherwise the lists are updated (not deleted) when you do "apt-get update".

colin_b

#33 Post by colin_b »

I've had a look at what Bleachbit showed on my installed OS (MX16), and it showed ~250MB of package lists. I did an update via the update manager and afterwards I had ~330MB of package lists. As a final thought, would it be possible for the update manager to clear the lists, or just old lists, when it does an update to free up a bit of HD space?

fehlix
Developer

#34 Post by fehlix »

colin_b wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:50 pm ...
As a final thought, would it be possible for the update manager to clear the lists, or just old lists, when it does an update to free up a bit of HD space?
With every apt-update the package-manager will fetch all changed package-lists from the package server and would remove old ones. If you delete all package-lists the apt-package-manager would need to download all package-lists again,
even those which have not changed. So you would not gain much to have temporarily removed the pkg-lists.
But you would increase the download-traffic from the server, your used bandwidth and would force unneeded writing onto your hd/ssd.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#35 Post by dolphin_oracle »

besides, without the lists, synaptic will only show what's installed instead of what's available (without a reload anyway, which brings back the lists). (At least I think that's the case).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Redacted

#36 Post by Redacted »

That's true. It happened to me the first time I ever used Bleachbit, and it took me a while to figure out what was wrong with Synaptic.

colin_b

#37 Post by colin_b »

Thanks to all for the info.

I'll put this down as a bad idea :embarrassed:

Richard

#38 Post by Richard »

@Gerson,

Buena discusión.
Creo que el Cleanup es suficiente para limpiar la mayoría de datos innecesarios,
antes de hacer un Snapshot.

Saludos, Richard.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

antiX-Dave
Developer

#39 Post by antiX-Dave »

colin_b wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:50 pm I've had a look at what Bleachbit showed on my installed OS (MX16), and it showed ~250MB of package lists. I did an update via the update manager and afterwards I had ~330MB of package lists. As a final thought, would it be possible for the update manager to clear the lists, or just old lists, when it does an update to free up a bit of HD space?
Is this truely package lists or the downloaded/cached packages that were installed in the upgrade?

asqwerth
Developer

#40 Post by asqwerth »

I was wondering about that. 250MB seems a large size for lists.

Does MX-Cleanup include "apt-get clean" or "apt clean" to remove the cached packages?

Also, does Debian package management include a command (or some tag added to "apt clean") to remove all cached packages EXCEPT for the most recent X (which is a variable that can be specified) number of versions of the same package?

Arch has some commands that can do that. I'm not sure about Fedora and Opensuse, but I know the latter 2 distros have some settings to only keep the last X number of kernels.

It's useful to keep the most recent previous versions of a package, just in case you need to revert back to the previous version due to some bug or problem with the current.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Forum en Español”