-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX17.1 64bit install crashes at installing grub

jajk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MX17.1 64bit install crashes at installing grub

#1 Post by jajk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 am

I am trying to install MX17.1 64 bit (June update version) onto an Acer ES1-533-C2UM Laptop with UEFI only BIOS (no legacy mode available).
I have disabled Secure Boot in BIOS.
The installation to hard drive goes smoothly until I get to the installing Grub to ESP point, at which it crashes shortly after commencing.
This happens whether I try to install MX17.1 as the only O.S or if I try with Win10 already installed (with fastboot disabled).
Reading through the Wiki article on UEFI problems does not help me get past this roadblock.
Any advice appreciated.....

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX17.1 64bit install crashes at installing grub

#2 Post by Adrian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:16 am

We had some issues with the installer, can you please try to update it before installing (apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade) and let us know if you still see the problem? Or let me know if you already tried that.
Alternatively, as a workaround you could install without installing GRUB and then use MX Bootrepair to install it.

jajk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by jajk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Further investigation found that crash occurs when grub tries to update nvram so manually installing grub through terminal with --n-nvram switch gets past this hurdle and onto the next.....
Seems to be a common problem on many Acer and Lenova trash laptops that are trying to lock users in to a miserable existence on Win10 without making this known :mad:
This is the script I found on another forum which works to a point:

Code: Select all

Mount newly installed file system on /mnt:
(where sda2 is the root partition and sda1 is the EFI system partition)

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

Load efivars by:

modprobe efivars

Reinstall grub-install for a 64-bit version

apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64
grub-install --no-nvram --root-directory=/mnt

Change root to /mnt and update grub

chroot /mnt
update-grub

Move and rename the installed bootloader

cd /boot/efi/EFI
cp -R mx/* BOOT/
cd BOOT
cp grubx64.efi bootx64.efi
So two problems are solved so far:
  • Attempt to update nvram causes crash
    grubx64.efi filename not recognized as the boot file - must be changed to bootx64.efi to mimic Win10
Now I can get as far as booting into grub from the hard drive but it is still missing the config file. update-grub command ends with an EOF error. So the remaining question (hopefully) is how to get the config file in the right location with the right contents???

@Adrian MX Bootrepair does not work in this situation as there is no ability to add a switch to turn off nvram updating so it simply crashes.
Have not tried to update the installer yet but will give that a go if nothing else is going to work

jajk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by jajk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 pm

@ Adrian Fresh install with freshly updated distribution results in the same problems - nothing changes.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Adrian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:34 pm

jajk wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 pm
@ Adrian Fresh install with freshly updated distribution results in the same problems - nothing changes.
Thanks, it's a different problem than I initially assumed, I will take a closer look at nvram update issue.

jajk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by jajk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 am

O.K let's narrow down the problem to not being able to generate a working config file for grub.
Can anyone provide me with a working example and the correct path to put it in for UEFI booting MX17.1 64bit?
My scenario is efi is sda1, root is sda2. I can easily edit an example to fit the task - just need an example to get me close ;)

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by fehlix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 am

jajk wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 am
O.K let's narrow down the problem to not being able to generate a working config file for grub.
Can anyone provide me with a working example and the correct path to put it in for UEFI booting MX17.1 64bit?
My scenario is efi is sda1, root is sda2. I can easily edit an example to fit the task - just need an example to get me close ;)
You don't need to reinstall the grub-package via apt again only to trigger the grub-install.
IMHO, the --root-directory option you used is outdated.
You might just generate the grub-efi-bootloader grub64.efi
as such:

grub-install --no-nvram --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/boot  --boot-directory=/mnt/boot 
and would get the GRUB-menu generated
either way, like this:

grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg
or after

chroot /mnt
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Don't think you need evivars, as you are not updating the "boot-device/Boot*" NVRAM variables, anyway.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

jajk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by jajk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:25 pm

@fehlix Thanks for the insight. I already figured to skip over the apt-get and yes, the --root-directory switch is obsolete and efivars is not needed ;)
I will try your suggestions and report back

jajk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by jajk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:04 pm

@fehlix I have had success using your suggestions thanks.
chroot /mnt
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg is the one that worked for me.
Not as straightforward as expected.....new grub.cfg file gets named grub.cfg.new and does not work until renamed back to grub.cfg
I now have to work out where a long delay during boot is coming from between loading initial ramdisk... and gave up waiting for suspend/resume device

jajk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by jajk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:20 am

Latest round of updates have fixed the long delay during boot so I am happily running MX17.1 on this laptop even though Acer seemed to go to some lengths to prevent anything other than Win10 being installed.
I refuse to be herded and will avoid Acer in the future for dancing with the devil. When I first read about UEFI, I thought to myself "Here we go...Intel and Microsoft up to their usual tricks again" and I was correct - one more turn of the screw :frown:

Return to “Installation”