Question: MX package requests vs. other distros

Redacted

Question: MX package requests vs. other distros

#1 Post by Redacted »

I've been wondering why MX is so different compared to other distros concerning how the developers work.
Here, they come to the forum and respond to questions and requests, and if possible, update software.
On the other hand Mint, for example, says that since they're based on Ubuntu, they rely on Ubuntu's packages.
And the developers do not go to the forum.
What makes the difference? I would assume a distribution like Mint has many more developers.
And MX is based on Debian, so why don't the developers just rely on Debian's packages?
This is an honest question, and not meant to bash Mint.
I used it for around 5 years and liked it.
Thanks

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Question: MX package requests vs. other distros

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Redacted wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 pm I've been wondering why MX is so different compared to other distros concerning how the developers work.
Here, they come to the forum and respond to questions and requests, and if possible, update software.
On the other hand Mint, for example, says that since they're based on Ubuntu, they rely on Ubuntu's packages.
And the developers do not go to the forum.
What makes the difference? I would assume a distribution like Mint has many more developers.
And MX is based on Debian, so why don't the developers just rely on Debian's packages?
This is an honest question, and not meant to bash Mint.
I used it for around 5 years and liked it.
Thanks
our backported repo is one reason MX is different from standard debian. we also rely on debian packages.

and you might be surprised how few developers are behind the scenes at mint. but mint also supported PPAs, which debian does not (including MX).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

We don't have that many packagers, but they are very prolific. I think they have a good set up and they can spin .debs quickly unless the package requires some strange dependency.

Redacted

#4 Post by Redacted »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm but mint also supported PPAs, which debian does not (including MX).
For several years I used stevenpusser's PPA for Pale Moon, always getting that warning of "untrusted". Never knowing that it's our own Stevo!
and you might be surprised how few developers are behind the scenes at mint
That is kind of a surprise.
Adrian wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm We don't have that many packagers, but they are very prolific.
That's the truth! I am constantly amazed.

Thank you for your responses.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#5 Post by chrispop99 »

I don't know how accurate this is, but suspect it's in the ball-park:

https://www.owler.com/company/linuxmint

Other differences between MX and Mint is that Mint is a commercial organisation, with a CEO, and employees. MX is by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts.

Mint is based in one country, with employees working set hours. MX is reasonably global, so someone is watching the forum pretty much 24/7. I know that especially during development some of the team put in some tremendously long hours, often late into the night. You simply couldn't pay employees to do that.

In many respects MX is unique. The major distros are huge commercial bodies. Most of the rest are 'one man bands' with a bit of help from others. MX is pretty collaborative, and quite democratic in how it develops.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

The packagers were also forum members before they learned the techniques of proper Debian packaging, and haven't left. Debian developers depend instead on mailing lists, as far as I know...don't know about Mint. Bunsen Lab developers use the forum much like we do here.

Re Pale Moon: I don't think the openSUSE Build Service guys would like it being thought of as a PPA, when it can also build Debian and many different rpm packages from one set of source files, where PPAs are strictly Ubuntu-only. It's very powerful, but I still only know how to use a few of its features. I just recently learned how to branch one OBS repo off of another, so that the new one uses packages from the first to build its own.

Redacted

#7 Post by Redacted »

I can't reach that link. My browsers freeze.
Mint is a commercial organisation, with a CEO, and employees. MX is by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts.
That would explain the rather large difference in attitude.
Stevo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:32 pm The packagers were also forum members before they learned the techniques of proper Debian packaging, and haven't left...
Which as chrispop99 said - they're enthusiasts.
Re Pale Moon: I don't think the openSUSE Build Service guys would like it being thought of as a PPA, when it can also build Debian and many different rpm packages from one set of source files, where PPAs are strictly Ubuntu-only. It's very powerful, but I still only know how to use a few of its features...
Sure didn't mean to downplay that group.
Even if as you say you only know a few of its features, you filled a basic need of mine while I was on Mint - Pale Moon. :happy:

Thanks again for the posts. I understand a bit better.
This is a unique distro.

xali

#8 Post by xali »

chrispop99 wrote:MX is by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts.
MX is pretty collaborative, and quite democratic in how it develops.
for me as a simple user this is a feature (yes feature)

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#9 Post by chrispop99 »

Redacted wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:53 pm
I can't reach that link. My browsers freeze.
I don't know why - It's fine here on Firefox.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Redacted

#10 Post by Redacted »

I can reach it this morning, thanks. Interesting site.

Return to “General”