MX-17 Screenshots

Show us how you are setting up MX
asqwerth
Developer

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#181 Post by asqwerth »

Here's my oomox-generated theme created over the materia-theme base. The colour scheme (cream background, navy blue widgets and greyish-blue borders) is loosely based on an openbox theme I found on Bunsenlabs forum, called oncremmer2, which had cream backgrounds and navy blue borders and widgets. I had to lighten the border colour because in XFCE, the text colour in the WM bar follows the text colour (black) for window backgrounds, and ignores my oomox settings for text colour in window bars (beige). Those settings seem to work only when not running XFCE.

https://imgur.com/pgcQiIq

The oomox theme did not have special theming configs for whisker menu and panel so they were originally cream. I copied over greybird-mx's whisker and panel settings and modified the greybird dark grey to this blue-grey.

Materia theme is not 100% compatible with XFCE, so it still has the annoying habit of squashing all the panel icons to a smaller size and cutting off the edges of the start menu button.

But it's otherwise a workable theme.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

rich

#182 Post by rich »

Awesome color scheme, looks good. I saw your post and tried making a materia based theme and yeah I agree the padding is definitely a little overdone, especially on my lowly 1366x768 screen. What icon theme is that?

asqwerth
Developer

#183 Post by asqwerth »

rich wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:49 pm Awesome color scheme, looks good. I saw your post and tried making a materia based theme and yeah I agree the padding is definitely a little overdone, especially on my lowly 1366x768 screen. What icon theme is that?
Evolvere 2 by Frank Souza: https://github.com/franksouza183/Evolvere-Icons

Evolvere 1 was the original default icon theme for SolydX, but the colours there were deliberately muted (or washed out, IMO). Version 2 has nice rich colours and is fairly recent.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

rich

#184 Post by rich »

asqwerth wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:02 pm Evolvere 2 by Frank Souza: https://github.com/franksouza183/Evolvere-Icons

Evolvere 1 was the original default icon theme for SolydX, but the colours there were deliberately muted (or washed out, IMO). Version 2 has nice rich colours and is fairly recent.
Got em, thanks!

asqwerth
Developer

#185 Post by asqwerth »

rich wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:49 pm Awesome color scheme, looks good. I saw your post and tried making a materia based theme and yeah I agree the padding is definitely a little overdone...
What is this "padding" and do you know how to reduce it? I am guessing that it refers to some internal buffer zone within a border or outline?

rich

#186 Post by rich »

Yep, exactly, specifically I mean how it wants to squish the icons. Also on my system, in my workspace indicator, the text was cut off on the workspace names "1" and "2". So there's some theme variable that's maybe too high, probably some kind of padding. I looked around briefly in the theme for it, but I've been using the Numix based option more anyway which seems to fit better on my screen.

edit-
GtkButton::inner-border in gtk-2.0/gtkrc seems to be a culprit - I changed the values from 4 to 0 and saw a nice difference in the window buttons
also

Code: Select all

}
style "button" {
  xthickness = 4
  ythickness = 4
bringing those values down enlarged the MX whisker menu icon

before:
Screenshot-2.png
after:
Screenshot-3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dreamer

#187 Post by dreamer »

asqwerth wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm Here's my oomox-generated theme created over the materia-theme base.

https://imgur.com/pgcQiIq
I like that wallpaper. Do you mind sharing it? Maybe even as a Gimp (.xcf) file? I like the MX logo with the text.

asqwerth
Developer

#188 Post by asqwerth »

Unfortunately I only have the png file. This was contributed to the MX community by a member called vinz who was only around for a short time and has not been heard from since.

https://imgur.com/h3EwP9h

dreamer

#189 Post by dreamer »

asqwerth wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:06 pm Unfortunately I only have the png file. This was contributed to the MX community by a member called vinz who was only around for a short time and has not been heard from since.
I really like the wallpaper. Thanks for sharing!

asqwerth
Developer

#190 Post by asqwerth »

Still playing around with oomox. This is slightly modified from the preset /base16/savanna theme.

And also testing the MX Start Icons package that Dolphin_Oracle put together. Nice work, D_O!

Some icons don't work as well as others if your vertical panel is narrow. And of course the long icons only work well on horizontal panels.

https://imgur.com/rW62vlR

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”