Malware found in Ubuntu Store Snap app

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Malware found in Ubuntu Store Snap app

#21 Post by asqwerth »

Even with GUI package managers that are integrated with flatpak, I'm sure you can untick any flatpak app you don't want to update, just like you can unselect any update for a normal package in Synaptic.

To update Lollypop flatpak app (its official name is org.gnome.Lollypop which is a mouthful) and its runtime, I use:

Code: Select all

flatpak update org.gnome.Lollypop
A runtime is the gtk+ or qt environment the app is running in. So to install flatpak lollypop in MX15 (running gtk 3.14), I installed gtk 3.24 runtime (I think) at that point in time. Right now gtk+ is at version 3.28 so I assume that if I ran a full update of flatpak lollypop, runtime will also be updated to 3.28.

To update the Lollypop flatpak app alone, I'll have to run the following command:

flatpak --app update org.gnome.Lollypop
Since it runs fine right now, I couldn't be bothered to update either the app or the runtime.

If I use:

flatpak update
then yes, all installed flatpak apps and their runtimes are all updated.

See: http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/flatp ... pak-update
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Redacted

#22 Post by Redacted »

KBD wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm Thanks for the clarification.
I apologize for my bad info.
At least with Mint, which I used to run, I was led to believe you could not selectively update flatpaks.
Again... sorry!

KBD

#23 Post by KBD »

Redacted wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 am
KBD wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm Thanks for the clarification.
I apologize for my bad info.
At least with Mint, which I used to run, I was led to believe you could not selectively update flatpaks.
Again... sorry!
Don't worry about it. People are taking a closer look at these things and trying to figure them out since the malware found in the Ubuntu snap. I really had not paid much attention to them, not much interested as
I hadn't planned on using them. But it seems they are being used more and more by default without consideration to the downside and potential security issues.

KBD

#24 Post by KBD »

And so it begins....
Chromium is becoming very hard to build on older releases of Ubuntu as it uses a number of features of modern C++ compilers. Snaps can help us solve a lot of those problems and so we propose to ship Chromium only as a snap from 18.10 onwards, and also to retire Chromium as a deb in Trusty.
https://blog.ubuntu.com/2018/05/18/desk ... -for-18-10

Return to “General”