Softmaker Office for Linux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
penguin

Re: Softmaker Office for Linux

#11 Post by penguin »

also WPS Office for Linux, is a good chose :happy:

Code: Select all

http://wps-community.org/downloads

KBD

#12 Post by KBD »

Gordon Cooper wrote:Have not needed to use docx recently and have heard tales of others having problems with it. Think I did use Abiword for the occasional docx.
It's too bad odt open document format is not the default file format. If it was LO would certainly be more than enough. MS pretty much owns business office space.

KBD

#13 Post by KBD »

penguin wrote:also WPS Office for Linux, is a good chose :happy:

Code: Select all

http://wps-community.org/downloads
Last time I tried it the program was filled with advertising which was a put off. Though it can be purchased to get rid of ads.

KBD

#14 Post by KBD »

linwinux wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:Sure. At that level of complexity, I usually deliver PDFs as the final product (as I did just an hour ago--yeah!) or switch software.
I agree with that 100% because I've been using both, MS Office from the 90s until the mid 2000s, and then switched to OpenOffice, followed 3 years later by switching to LibreOffice. I've used Microsoft Office to create Brochures, Flyers, Business Letters, Databases, Presentations, and more. I have never had a problem converting any files to OpenOffice / LibreOffice yet. Sure, I've noticed formatting differences, but generally minor enough to be either easily ignored or quickly adjusted. I believe anyone who needs to create such complex documents that "perfect formatting" is an absolute must, more than likely wouldn't be a Linux user in the first place, but rather the kind of person who uses a Mac.
Converting important files to be shared by others to PDF is a no-brainer, that really goes without saying ...

Granted, I also believe in having more applications to choose from, but in some cases more software only makes things more confusing to less experienced users. Just imagine trying to explain specifically how you achieved a particular result with LibreOffice, to someone who started using SoftmakerOffice. LibreOffice also makes a large selection of additional Template files available on their site, with a community has been extremely well established for many years. If LibreOffice is too much or not good enough for you, there are already alternatives available with Abiword and Gnumeric (others too).

I would hate to think someone would be pushed to use a Mac if they happen to be a writer or otherwise needed high quality office software and precise formatting :(
Disagree about it being confusing having more software. More software and choices are what Linux is all about :) It is not a negative, but a positive. And having another serious competitor to MS Office is great.
In a perfect world MS Office would not have such a stranglehold and instead free open doc formats would be the rule. If anyone is well served by LO that is a good thing, and for those times when they are not, options beyond MS are good :)

Return to “General”