Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

Richard

Re: Browser replacement?

#41 Post by Richard »

Qupzilla 2.2.6 is much improved over the older 2.1.2.
It is quick. Going to have to try it a while.
Lots of configs.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

GreenMartian

#42 Post by GreenMartian »

Yes, second that.

It would be nice to see an alternative with exceptional tab handling. A Tab Mix lite lite lite -esque.

GM

skidoo

#43 Post by skidoo »

https://qupzilla.com/
Development News March 15, 2018

Final QupZilla release is out!
Final release, QupZilla 2.2.6, is now out.There will be no more QupZilla releases, please switch to Falkon.
Package: falkon (3.0.0-3)
https://packages.debian.org/buster/falkon

Falkon is available from debian testing/buster repository... and is a wet noodle. A lead baloon.
The debian package forces you to install KDE Wallet.
If you self-compile falkon, wallet is an "optional" component, and falkon will build fine (no fiddling with build options) in its absence.

I built and test drove the 64bit v3.0.0.3
With 2 tabs open (forum.mxlinux.org + youtube/video @720p)
the qtWebEngine processes and falkon process consumed ~600MB RAM @ 51-76% CPU load. When I dropped back to 480p video playback, CPU load reduced to ~34%...

Fonts were fuzzy/blurry, the UI is absolutely generic, and I found no indication that any "plugins" aside from adblock were available. I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of python-powered plugins, but in falkon's current state it's not a keeper, IMO.

Bierhundt

#44 Post by Bierhundt »

skidoo wrote: https://qupzilla.com/

Final release, QupZilla 2.2.6, is now out.There will be no more QupZilla releases, please switch to Falkon.

Falkon is available from debian testing/buster repository... and is a wet noodle. A lead baloon.
If you self-compile falkon, wallet is an "optional" component, and falkon will build fine (no fiddling with build options) in its absence.

the qtWebEngine processes and falkon process consumed ~600MB RAM @ 51-76% CPU load. When I dropped back to 480p video playback, CPU load reduced to ~34%...

Fonts were fuzzy/blurry, the UI is absolutely generic, and I found no indication that any "plugins" aside from adblock were available. I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of python-powered plugins, but in falkon's current state it's not a keeper, IMO.
Well, I guess that answers that question! If there will be no more releases, and they want you to switch to another browser, I'll just download the latest QupZilla 2.2.6 and keep it as my backup! I don't care to be forced to use something I don't like (KDE wallet) always gave me fits in the past, so I'll just use QupZilla 2.2.6 until it's no longer viable and look for another backup. Seems like it should be good for a year or so ......
Thanks for letting me know skidoo!

Bierhundt

#45 Post by Bierhundt »

I went to download the latest qupzilla, but it's not the 2.2.6, so I guess I'll have to wait a few days or use wget (which nobody seems to like anymore)! Oh, bag it! .... I'll just keep the one I've got and hope that something better comes along!
Thanks to all who have helped and given advice along the way!

Richard

Re: Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

#46 Post by Richard »

In synaptic, /mx/repo, there is now the 2.2.6 qupzilla-appimage.
I think it just recently got moved to main.
Last edited by Richard on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

KBD

#47 Post by KBD »

I suspect it is not lightweight, but curious if anyone here has used the Brave browser, and what you think of it?
I always kept Chrome around as a backup browser, but trying to go on a Google diet, so wondering what would be a good backup to Firefox, lightweight or not.

Stevo
Developer

#48 Post by Stevo »

skidoo wrote:
https://qupzilla.com/

I thought that Falkon 3 has essentially the same code base as Qupzilla 2.2.6, so how did things get screwed up? I looked, and haven't found any Falkon appimages to test or package either.

Bierhundt

#49 Post by Bierhundt »

Just to let you all know, I settled on Seamonkey - works great for me!

linwinux

#50 Post by linwinux »

Look into Vivaldi Browser when you have some spare time. There's more information about it here on the MX forum as well:
viewtopic.php?p=449681#p449681

(We're located about 95 clicks north of Frankfurt) :p

Return to “General”