MX Linux hit #10

Postings and comments on the Community Blog
anticapitalista
Developer

Re: MX Linux hit #10

#11 Post by anticapitalista »

Devuan is not Debian-based at all. It is its own separate project with its own repositories and seeks to replace Debian.
It is about as much Debian-based as Ubuntu is.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

lonesomepoint

#12 Post by lonesomepoint »

Sorry, I misinterpreted https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devuan to mean it was Debian-based. or it's simply incorrect.

lonesomepoint

#13 Post by lonesomepoint »

Unless the article is mistaken, I think this is hairsplitting the meaning of "-based." It says Devuan is a fork of Debian; that's what I meant, whether or not "-based" can mean "fork of."

asqwerth
Developer

#14 Post by asqwerth »

As far as I can understand it, they are like an almost-clone of Debian where all systemd packages and dependencies are removed from all the packages. But trying to replace the whole catalogue of Debian's packages must be a huge task.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

antiX-Dave
Developer

#15 Post by antiX-Dave »

antiX reviews may be high however unlike MX a number of reviews do go along the line of "antiX is great but..... some issue here" which are worth considering.

sunrat

#16 Post by sunrat »

Now you got me reading DW reviews. This one about Ubuntu :
Version: 17.10
Rating: 1
Date: 2018-01-03
Votes: 1

A friend suggested I should try this os, the installation was easy enough, he did the work. Used gnome desktop as told it was not so easy to change from windows to linux with a lot of configuration needed. He said gnome is ready for anyone to use. So good so far, seemed not so much different to Windows. Very slow on my old computer.
Im writing this from MX Linux which a classmate suggested, it is far more enjoyable to use as well as really easy to install. feels much faster too.

Proudly did it on my own although Im not so bright in computer stuff, really amazed my boyfriend.
I have a secret, I Learnt how from you tube.

kernelkurtz

#17 Post by kernelkurtz »

Version: 17.10
Rating: 1
Date: 2018-01-03
Votes: 1

... I have a secret, I Learnt how from you tube.
When it comes to learning MX/AntiX on YouTube, the real secret weapon is Mr. (and lately Mrs. too) dolphin_oracle. Having someone who is integrated into the development of the distros--and also a skilled user---and also a good teacher with a public face--is an awesome thing that no other distro can offer. Or at least not with the same depth and longevity.

As I try to get better and more skilled myself, I keep going back and rewatching things like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVd1cRIWAI .

It's priceless for learning. Thanks, man.

BitJam
Developer

#18 Post by BitJam »

Run with the Dolphin! :number1:
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

nomad

#19 Post by nomad »

Oh No! It'll be time for me to move soon..
Without privacy, there is no freedom.

Klabusterbär

#20 Post by Klabusterbär »

Thanks to all the People where created this nice Distro. I'm using Linux for so many years, but i have dont see so one complet and simple distro before ! My Grandma can install this on a PC ;-)
MX Linux listet on Distrowatch under the 10 most interested distros, and i must say : It's not a wonder ! I installed on my Desktop PC, my Laptop, and on my Notebook and all overall its working fine.
Its very simple to create a own MX Linux with the snapshoot tool - fantastic !!!
Sorry for my bad englisch, and many greatings from a happy MX Linux user from germany

Return to “MX Linux Official Blog”