-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[solved] KeePassXC - general noob question

Help for Current Versions of MX
Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[solved] KeePassXC - general noob question

#1 Post by Buck Fankers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Since KeePassX that is in MX repository is allegedly (I read somewhere) not supported any more, I decided to go with more popular KeePassXC (C for community). I'm relatively new to Linux and completely new to Debian.

Looks like I have about 5 different ways to get KeePassXC. My question is, what would be most proper way of getting it

1 - I can get it (actually, that's what I did) from MX Package Installer (MX Test Repo), but it is a little bit older version and when dealing with passwords you probably want to go with latest version? I understand, installed from here, it will update when new version will be available, correct? Btw, KeePassXC is now officially part of Debian per their web page.

https://keepassxc.org/download/#linux

2 - AppImage - this is probably bloated way, will update when new version is available?

3 - SnapPackage - same as above: this is probably bloated way, will update when new version is available?

4 - Build it myself. Out of question for now, I'm too green for this, but would more experienced users go this way? Would it auto update when new version is available? https://packages.debian.org/sid/keepassxc

5 - Deb package, yess!, I can do this :-) the most appealing option, although unofficial version. Would KeePassXC update to new version when available if installed through Debi installer? https://github.com/magkopian/keepassxc-debian/releases

I understand, beginner should just stick with MX Installer, which I did. But I'm curious, what would say average user do, which is most optimal way of installing this package?
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: KeePassXC - general noob question

#2 Post by Stevo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:04 pm

The best way is to ask for updates for the test repo when they become available upstream. I'll see about doing that right now, since I see that 2.3.1 is now in Sid.

Apt will not see any updates available unless they are in a repository "attached" to your system, but we don't recommend leaving the test repo attached, though doing that has been quite safe in the past. Just installing from a deb usually doesn't attach a repo, though the Google Chrome and Opera browser debs do that.

Backporting your own packages can be rather simple in many cases. It just involves following a recipe. Cross-compiling, such as building 32-bit packages on a 64-bit system, does get more involved, but now that I have pbuilder set up for that, I usually just have to download two files from Debian, extract them, and run a few boilerplate commands to build both 32 and 64-bit MX versions.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Well, MX 17 backport= no problem.

MX 15 builds fail because a crypto library is older in Jessie. I backport that library, then it gets further before another library turns out to be too old. So I'm still attacking that, but will send up the MX 17 version to testing.

Edit: MX 15 builds are solved. Sending up both versions.

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:33 am

(edit) please ignore questions, I already got the answers :-)

Sorry for late reply, I'm still trying to wrap my head around, due to lack of proper knowledge ;-)
Stevo wrote:Well, MX 17 backport= no problem.
Does this mean I should see newer version in Debian Backports Repo? I don't see anything there.
There is 2.2.0-1 in Stable Repo (full app catalog)
And 2.2.4 in MX Test Repo (full app catalog), which I have installed.
Stevo wrote:Sending up both versions.
So where/how do I find the one you uploaded?
And thank you for doing it!
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 am

Stevo wrote:The best way is to ask for updates for the test repo when they become available upstream. I'll see about doing that right now, since I see that 2.3.1 is now in Sid.

Backporting your own packages can be rather simple in many cases.
Thank you for all the info. I hope this backporting own packages (deb packages?) is beginner friendly simple ;-) I will try to learn more about it. Is this (backporting own packages) Debian specific or is this MX Linux specific?

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 am

sry, duplicate post
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by asqwerth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 am

Buck Fankers wrote:Sorry for late reply, I'm still trying to wrap my head around, due to lack of proper knowledge ;-)
Stevo wrote:Well, MX 17 backport= no problem.
Does this mean I should see newer version in Debian Backports Repo? I don't see anything there.
There is 2.2.0-1 in Stable Repo (full app catalog)
And 2.2.4 in MX Test Repo (full app catalog), which I have installed.
So where/how do I find the one you uploaded?
And thank you for doing it!
Steps to take if the version of the program in Main/Stable repos - what you see listed in Synaptic without you changing any repo settings - is not the newer one that you hope to install:

1. check MX Packageinstaller (MXPI) Popular apps tab. If it's listed, click on the lightbulb to ascertain the package version;
2. if it's not in Popular Apps tab or if the version listed there is still the current one in Main/Stable repos, check MX Test Repo in full app catalog tab.
3. if it's not there, check Debian Backports repo in full app catalog tab

4. if not there, make a package request in the package requests subforum so that the packaging team can have a go at putting together or backporting a newer version of the package so that it works in MX17/Debian Stretch.

5. If the team are able to make such package, it will be placed in MX Test Repo for testing/trial by the requester and any other interested user.
6. Give feedback, bug reports etc in the relevant package request forum thread. If there is an issue, let them know, provide the requested info and log files, so they can sort it out.

7. If it works fine, let them know so that assuming there are no other problems reported, the package can be moved to the Main/Stable repo.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:31 am

Ah, I understand the process much better now, thank you for taking the time to explain the whole process.
asqwerth wrote: 5. If the team are able to make such package, it will be placed in MX Test Repo for testing/trial by the requester and any other interested user.
I see, so whenever it will be ready, it will show up in the MX Test Repo.
asqwerth wrote: 7. If it works fine, let them know so that assuming there are no other problems reported, the package can be moved to the Main/Stable repo.
Now I'm starting to understand why is MX Linux becoming so popular. Beside some great tools, you also get stable Debian with many up to date, backported packages. Nice!

I have one more question, related to installing but for different kind of software, (Sublime, not free). Should I open new topic or is OK to ask you here directly? Please let me know if it is not OK and I will delete this question and start with new topic.

Since it is not free and since I don't see any Sublime version in any repo, I'm assuming this is because of it's nature and it will not be there in the future. On their web page there are steps posted and I'm wodering, is it OK to follow these steps or this may break anything with MX Linux repositories?

https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/linu ... ories.html
'''

Code: Select all

Install the GPG key:

wget -qO - https://download.sublimetext.com/sublimehq-pub.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
Ensure apt is set up to work with https sources:

sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
Select the channel to use:

Stable
echo "deb https://download.sublimetext.com/ apt/stable/" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sublime-text.list

Update apt sources and install Sublime Text

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sublime-text
'''

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: [solved] KeePassXC - general noob question

#9 Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 am

If you have added their repo, then use MX Fix GPG keys to take care of that.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: [solved] KeePassXC - general noob question

#10 Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:09 am

Jerry3904 wrote:If you have added their repo, then use MX Fix GPG keys to take care of that.
Haven't done anything yet, I'm asking first to try to avoid some potential headaches ;-)

I'm going to read through the MX manual next, but just a quick question/guessing here, after completing all of the steps from their (Sublime) web page I posted above, after all installation is done, then I run Fix GPG keys from MX Tools, correct?
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MX Help”