-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

One reason that I use Linux

ChrisUK
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

One reason that I use Linux

#1 Post by ChrisUK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 pm

One of the reasons that I've used Linux since S.u.S.E 4 (IIRC it was Slackware based, but it was 20+ years ago, and I'm old and forgetful ;) ), has nothing to do with Security/Restarts after every update/FOSS/Cost - it's being able to legally clone my OS onto any (within limits) other box, and everything work as it should.

An example:

Yesterday, I was given an oldish (about 5 years) Laptop with a faulty Hard Drive and slightly damaged Screen. It wasn't possible to repair Windows, because there's no access to the recovery partition, and Recovery Disks were never made by the previous owner. For about £50 I can buy and fit a new screen... but what about the OS?

I did what I do with all my PCs/Laptops, I just cloned my only (all others are just clones of this install) install of Linux (MX 17 in this case) to a working formatted hard drive, and fit it in the Laptop. I use Timeshift for the cloning - I just restore a snapshot to another hard drive - grub etc is automatically setup by Timeshift, so it's easy. There's other software of course, you could even use rsync from the commandline, but you'd need to sort out fstab and grub yourself - or you could use clonezilla. You could never do this with an OEM version of Windows, even if you had Recovery Disks.

(For anyone wondering; I used testdisk to image the damaged NTFS partition and photorec to recover the user's files from the image created by testdisk - the MFT and MFT mirror were both corrupt, so it took a few days to get the files off the drive. But again, free tools provided by Linux did the job ;) )
Chris

MX 17 - Manjaro

linwinux

Re: One reason that I use Linux

#2 Post by linwinux » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:22 am

Wow, that's really cool. I didn't realize that Timeshift would work across the board with other machines ... but yeah, duh, I guess that makes perfect sense since people do replace their machines. (Haven't tried Timeshift yet, thus the lack of actual familiarity). I'm curious about the testdisk & photorec though. Last time that I used them for restoration purposes was about 8 or 9 years ago. Craziest thing imaginable, hard disk failure with a backup disk failure, both in a 36 hour period. At the time I was really disappointed that I could only restore exisiting old images without a problem. But most other files such as doc, xls, pdf, html, php, were not recoverable. I only got about 5% of those restored. Has this changed? If so, I'll need to give testdisk another look ...

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Is this the Timeshift from our test repo? If so, do you think it should go to main?

oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by oops » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello to all,
Stevo wrote:Is this the Timeshift from our test repo? If so, do you think it should go to main?
I just discovered and tested this tool from MX17 test repo (Timeshift 18.4), and I like it ... but not tested the restore function yet.
$ inxi -S : System: Host:XEON Kernel: 4.16.0-xeon-01.efi x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 - Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon

dwayne22
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by dwayne22 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:11 am

my only reason for using Linux is its security and openness ;)

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by colin_b » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:32 am

A brief explanation of Timeshift is at https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/04/insta ... non-btrfs/

Fornhamfred
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by Fornhamfred » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:47 pm

colin_b wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:32 am
A brief explanation of Timeshift is at https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/04/insta ... non-btrfs/
Thanks for the link. Can the system cope with root and home on separate partitions and also what size snapshot partition would you need if backing up hourly with the two partition totalling 90GB but current data 20GB?

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by colin_b » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Fornhamfred wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:47 pm
Can the system cope with root and home on separate partitions and also what size snapshot partition would you need if backing up hourly with the two partition totalling 90GB but current data 20GB?
To be honest I'm not sure as I only came across Timeshift earlier when I read the initial post. I have done some digging around and the following is from the developer's homepage:
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

Applications like rsnapshot rotate a snapshot to the next level by creating a hard-linked copy. Creating a hard-linked copy may seem like a good idea but it is still a waste of disk space, since only files can be hard-linked and not directories. The duplicated directory structure can take up as much as 100 MB of space. TimeShift avoids this wastage by using tags for maintaining backup levels. Each snapshot will have only one copy on disk and is tagged as “daily”, “monthly”, etc. The snapshot location will have a set of folders for each backup level (“Monthly”, “Daily”, etc) with symbolic links pointing to the actual snapshots tagged with the level.
The initial snapshot can take about 15 min to complete, but once this is done subsequent ones take only a minute or so, as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAY5iRin0XQ

The best brief intro video I have found for Timeshift is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShW7NcmhqAE

I am going to give it a whirl in the very near future because it looks like a must have piece of software that can save a lot of frustration.

Return to “Chat”