systemd

Krissharm

systemd

#1 Post by Krissharm »

Hi All

I guess I am still new, I don't know the bit deal of systemd!
I have only scratched the surface of what appears to be a can of worms...
The reason this came up is that I noticed that sometimes the system is a little slow to start. I have previously ran systemd blame and it would appear that there is no systemd....

I think more googling might be in order for me to understand the impact of systemd... but in the mean time is there a tool similar to this that will identify anything that is slowing up the system.

I did get the fingerprint reader on the go, but the system would never recognise the already coded prints. That was not too big a deal on logging in, just wait for it to time out, but every sudo command was becomming a joke!
Primary HP Omen 15-ax009na, i5-6300HQ+NVIDIA GTX 950 Running MX17 64 bit.
Secondary Thinkpad x220 12GB ssd msata & ssd sata drive MX17 64 bit
Light child duties Thinkpad R51 MX17/Windows XP 32bit with forcepae and IDE to SATA + Kingston SSD.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: systemd

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

For background and future reference: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Krissharm

#3 Post by Krissharm »

Cheers Jerry
Light child duties Thinkpad R51 MX17/Windows XP 32bit with forcepae and IDE to SATA + Kingston SSD.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

I did get the fingerprint reader on the go
Can you please post your procedure in a separate thread in the Software forum? I saw your question on Reddit and was able to install it on an HP ElitePro notebook, but couldn't get the scanner to function--not sure if it works, maybe I have to go into the BIOS(?). Never took the time to pursue it. So a good How-To would be useful to all.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Systemd should be faster to boot on a spinning drive, but I don't see much difference on an SSD. Plus without systemd, I get a nice terminal screen with progress % shown when I hibernate and resume, while a systemd boot just gives me a frozen screen until the machine turns off.

dreamer

#6 Post by dreamer »

Systemd often won't start all your services due to race conditions so you have to use scripts to delay the start-up of some of them. It's a problem for distros that use systemd as init. Linux Mint now has a GUI for setting start-up delays. There is also the famous 90 second shut down time-out. The init part of systemd is the worst part because boot/restart/shut-down are crucial.

Someone else can tell you about systemd benefits for system administrators. I'm sure there are benefits if you fall into that category. Distrowatch did a boot time comparison between Systemd and SysV and they were pretty similar.

Systemd is actively developed as was mentioned in another thread, but is also the enemy of alternative inits. Not a great fit for "The universal operating system" if you ask me. Debian provides images for many architectures so I wonder how that works with systemd.

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

Because of tooth pain I think I got distracted. Systemd shouldn't be a problem on different architectures as long as it's Linux. Debian once had an experimental BSD? kernel and that project probably got dropped because of Systemd.

Krissharm

#8 Post by Krissharm »

Jerry3904 wrote:
I did get the fingerprint reader on the go
Can you please post your procedure in a separate thread in the Software forum? I saw your question on Reddit and was able to install it on an HP ElitePro notebook, but couldn't get the scanner to function--not sure if it works, maybe I have to go into the BIOS(?). Never took the time to pursue it. So a good How-To would be useful to all.
Attempted - probably dire - but its how I did it.

Krissharm

#9 Post by Krissharm »

Stevo wrote:Systemd should be faster to boot on a spinning drive, but I don't see much difference on an SSD. Plus without systemd, I get a nice terminal screen with progress % shown when I hibernate and resume, while a systemd boot just gives me a frozen screen until the machine turns off.
I agree - it is nice to see something in action. I might not know what is being done, but I hate just looking at a frozen screen.

Krissharm

#10 Post by Krissharm »

dreamer wrote:Systemd often won't start all your services due to race conditions so you have to use scripts to delay the start-up of some of them. It's a problem for distros that use systemd as init. Linux Mint now has a GUI for setting start-up delays. There is also the famous 90 second shut down time-out. The init part of systemd is the worst part because boot/restart/shut-down are crucial.

Someone else can tell you about systemd benefits for system administrators. I'm sure there are benefits if you fall into that category. Distrowatch did a boot time comparison between Systemd and SysV and they were pretty similar.

Systemd is actively developed as was mentioned in another thread, but is also the enemy of alternative inits. Not a great fit for "The universal operating system" if you ask me. Debian provides images for many architectures so I wonder how that works with systemd.
Quite insightful, thank you.

I suppose - I just wanted to see what the hold up was when booting. And then opened a can of worms I am still to understand!
Its very windows to have a slow shutdown time, hanging on some application but not telling you what. Also having to manually add scripts on start up will get boring fast!

Return to “General”