Suggestions for Future Versions

richb
Administrator

Re: Suggestions for Future Versions

#41 Post by richb »

Raymzap wrote:
richb wrote:Synaptic has a grayed box for uninstalled and a colored box with a check mark for installed. Not quite the same.
They are not greyed out in Synaptic. They are non-colored. The method is the same as my suggestion. How is having an unchecked box and checked box with an Apply button (like in Synaptic) confusing?
They are for me in Synaptic Greybird theme in MX 17. How does one explain to someone else how their mind works. You just have to take my word for it that I find the current system adequate.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Raymzap

#42 Post by Raymzap »

richb wrote:
Raymzap wrote:
richb wrote:Synaptic has a grayed box for uninstalled and a colored box with a check mark for installed. Not quite the same.
They are not greyed out in Synaptic. They are non-colored. The method is the same as my suggestion. How is having an unchecked box and checked box with an Apply button (like in Synaptic) confusing?
They are for me in Synaptic Greybird theme in MX 17. How does one explain to someone else how their mind works. You just have to take my word for it that I find the current system adequate.
Fair enough that they appear different on another theme. We will have to agree to disagree then. :happy:
GNU/Linux User #470660

Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."

richb
Administrator

#43 Post by richb »

Raymzap wrote:
richb wrote:
Raymzap wrote: They are not greyed out in Synaptic. They are non-colored. The method is the same as my suggestion. How is having an unchecked box and checked box with an Apply button (like in Synaptic) confusing?
Fair enough that they appear different on another theme. We will have to agree to disagree then. :happy:
Good with that ;)
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

dreamer

#44 Post by dreamer »

Synaptic will look different depending on your theme and icon theme. I have been confused and thought that Synaptic had changed but it was my theme and icon theme that had changed. :footinmouth:

richb
Administrator

#45 Post by richb »

dreamer wrote:Synaptic will look different depending on your theme and icon theme. I have been confused and thought that Synaptic had changed but it was my theme and icon theme that had changed. :footinmouth:
You can also adjust appearance with Synaptics Settings>Preferences.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

lhb1142

#46 Post by lhb1142 »

Stevo wrote:
P.S. Can someone address the suggestion, in my original post, that the developers look to see if some way can be found to add newer, later Debian repositories when new Debian versions are introduced such that MX Linux could be turned into a quasi-rolling release type of operating system? If that could be done, we would never need to effect a total reinstallation (which can be a pain-in-the-neck!). I realize that MX Linux adds certain changes to the Debian repositories and that would need to be taken into account. But could it be done? Thanks!
Some testers were able to upgrade an MX 16 Jessie-based version to Stretch -based MX 17, but with a few hitches due to our package versioning scheme. We have since started using a scheme that should let us upgrade to a Buster-based version in the future. This is done by making sure all Debian Buster and MX 19 packages will be seen as higher versions, the same as Debian does with their backports. So we hope in the future, we will be able to offer a smooth upgrade path.

I see that some backports might also be showing up in the antiX repo that we use, and hope that those also start following the same scheme.
Thank you very much for this reply. Even if we have to wait a month or two (or even a bit longer) for the MX repositories to be configured, the wait will be worth it if we can upgrade to a newer version without the necessity of a complete re-installation.

In my opinion, this sort of "quasi-rolling-release" format will make MX Linux even better than it is today, essentially a near-perfect GNU/Linux operating system.

Thanks again - and thanks to all who have responded here.

Lawrence H. Bulk

Stevo
Developer

#47 Post by Stevo »

Yes...don't know where the month or so time frame is coming from, though. The next major release bump will be a Debian Buster-based version, and that will be some time after Buster is released---not in the near future. It's been possible to update MX in-place for lesser releases that were still based on the same Debian, such as 15 to 16, or from 16 to 16.1.

If you're talking about adding the current Debian testing to MX to make it rolling, that's not going to work. Mixing stable with testing will break Debian, too. We don't have any Buster-based MX repo yet, and didn't plan on having one until we start development of a Buster-based MX, but that won't be at least a year, probably more.

It should be possible to make a Buster-based MX version, but we'd need more people to pitch in and help. Right now the packagers concentrate on keeping userspace packages updated on the stable base.

lhb1142

#48 Post by lhb1142 »

Stevo wrote:Yes...don't know where the month or so time frame is coming from, though. The next major release bump will be a Debian Buster-based version, and that will be some time after Buster is released---not in the near future. It's been possible to update MX in-place for lesser releases that were still based on the same Debian, such as 15 to 16, or from 16 to 16.1.

If you're talking about adding the current Debian testing to MX to make it rolling, that's not going to work. Mixing stable with testing will break Debian, too. We don't have any Buster-based MX repo yet, and didn't plan on having one until we start development of a Buster-based MX, but that won't be at least a year, probably more.

It should be possible to make a Buster-based MX version, but we'd need more people to pitch in and help. Right now the packagers concentrate on keeping userspace packages updated on the stable base.
Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. I certainly did not mean a month or so from now; I meant a month or so after the newest Debian release is made. I know that that will be quite a long time away. In the mean time, I'm enjoying MX Linux just as it is.

Thank you.

Lawrence H. Bulk

malspa

#49 Post by malspa »

lhb1142 wrote:Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. I certainly did not mean a month or so from now; I meant a month or so after the newest Debian release is made.
I think it usually takes 5-6 months after the latest Stable release for the new MX to come out.

Raymzap

#50 Post by Raymzap »

My name suggestions for the next MX release:
* Picard
* Riker
* Risa

:crossfingers:
GNU/Linux User #470660

Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."

Return to “General”