Firefox does not start with Athlon XP CPU (Known Issue)

drrdf

Firefox does not start with Athlon XP CPU (Known Issue)

#1 Post by drrdf »

Hi: I wonder whether someone can help me please? I have just installed MX-17 on two 32-bit PCs with Asrock motherboards and AMD XP (1900) CPUs. Everything was supposedly fine upon installation, but immediately after installation Firefox will not run at all and does not give any error message. An attempt to run Thunderbird produces the Mozilla crash fault reporting window. Is this because the 32-bit version of Mx-17 contains the 64-bit Firefox and Thunderbird in error?

What can I do to rectify this? Should I delete both of these Mozilla applications and reinstall them from the Mozilla site directly? How can I do this please? Thanks for your help.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Firefox not opening after update.

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

drrdf wrote:Hi: I wonder whether someone can help me please? I have just installed MX-17 on two 32-bit PCs with Asrock motherboards and AMD XP (1900) CPUs. Everything was supposedly fine upon installation, but immediately after installation Firefox will not run at all and does not give any error message. An attempt to run Thunderbird produces the Mozilla crash fault reporting window. Is this because the 32-bit version of Mx-17 contains the 64-bit Firefox and Thunderbird in error?

What can I do to rectify this? Should I delete both of these Mozilla applications and reinstall them from the Mozilla site directly? How can I do this please? Thanks for your help.
please start a separate thread for this topic. When you do, post the output from our "Quick System Info" tool (which will automatically copy a system summary to the clipboard for easy pasting into forum posts) as well as the terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -f
that's a lower case f.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/yo ... -supported

Your processor does not support SSE2, unfortunately. The standard Pale Moon browser in our repos also requires SSE2, but I build a palemoon-nonsse2 version in my separate, approved by the PM developers, OBS repository that should work on your system.

Add repo to your system:

sudo echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_9.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list
Download and install the repo authorization key to your system:

wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser/Debian_9.0/Release.key -O Release.key && sudo apt-key add - < Release.key && rm -f Release.key

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install palemoon-nonsse2
But one of the mods needs to snip this section off into a new thread.

Hmmm...I wonder if antiX could use the nonsse2 browser in their repo.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Everything from today in this thread. Title could be "Firefox does not start with Athlon XP CPU"...and we know why it doesn't, so maybe add [Known Issue]

drrdf

Re: Firefox does not start with Athlon XP CPU (Known Issue)

#5 Post by drrdf »

Thanks for your replies. I note that a new thread has been started so it seems I do not now need to do that?

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

drrdf wrote:Thanks for your replies. I note that a new thread has been started so it seems I do not now need to do that?
Correct. Actually the old thread was split and starts with your original post.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#7 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Hmmm...I wonder if antiX could use the nonsse2 browser in their repo.
My IBM T23 could. That is for sure.

System:    Host: biker Kernel: 4.9.75-antix.2-486-smp i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2
           Distro: antiX-17_386-full Heather Heyer 24 October 2017
Machine:   Device: laptop System: IBM product: 26474MU serial: N/A
           Mobo: IBM model: 26474MU serial: N/A BIOS: IBM v: 1AET64WW (1.20 ) date: 10/18/2006
Battery    BAT0: charge: 36.9 Wh 99.8% condition: 37.0/56.2 Wh (66%) model: BATSZ IBM-COMPATIBLE status: N/A
CPU:       Single core Mobile Intel Pentium III - M (-UP-) arch: P6 III rev.4 cache: 512 KB
           flags: (pae sse) bmips: 2397 speed: 1200 MHz (max)
Usually using Dillo, Netsurf, Qupzilla, Depending on usage case. No adobe flashplayer installed because of crashes with " illegal instruction"
errors. Like in Qupzilla.

Edit: subscribing to this thread to find it later.

2nd edit. Running Firefox-ESR or Seamonkey from MX package installer hammers my cpu at 100% and slows things way down.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

You can just download the -nonsse2 deb from the repo, second from the bottom: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... _9.0/i386/

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#9 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Stevo wrote:You can just download the -nonsse2 deb from the repo, second from the bottom: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... _9.0/i386/
Thanks Stevo

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

Let me know if it works if you try it, I don't get much feedback for that particular version.

Hmmm...don't know why Rich put this thread in the KDE section, too.

Return to “Software / Configuration”