Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Online videos Problem in MX 17

Help for Current Versions of MX
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Online videos Problem in MX 17

#11 Postby Stevo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:51 am

Ok, but the MX 4.14 and MX Liquorix 4.14 kernels are two different beasts.

tekkaman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Postby tekkaman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 am

Hello

I wanted to update the thread. I tried updating the kernel but the problem persists. I don't know if it's related to some Ata errors I've been getting. Perhaps I should go way back as to when the problem started. I'm a Linux newbie. I first started with Manjaro Linux KDE version. For months it was working fine. Then after some update it would refuse to boot. I tried to find help but I couldn't find the answer. So I thought that perhaps since it's a rolling release some update broke compatibility with my laptop. So I decided to try MX 16. I was using it fine since around March 2017 although it occasionally pop an Ata error message while booting. But since the laptop kept working fine and it had no crashes then I continued to use it. Then In around December I started to have booting problems again. The weird thing is that the hard drive is only months old and Gsmart reports no bad sectors. Right now the laptop boots but I do get the Ata errors sometimes.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby Stevo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:30 pm

You use the "intel" instead of "modesetting" video driver by putting a file named 20-intel.conf into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the contents:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TearFree"     "true"
EndSection

20-intel.conf.zip

and rebooting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paul1149
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Postby paul1149 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm

tekkaman wrote:Hello
The weird thing is that the hard drive is only months old and Gsmart reports no bad sectors. Right now the laptop boots but I do get the Ata errors sometimes.

I would check and clean the sata connections to the drive. Then run a long self-test with GSC, and maybe a conveyance test, after backing up any data you need to preserve. There could be bad sectors that haven't yet been reported to Smart. Or it could be a stray electrical problem that doesn't show up. You could also fsck the partitions.

golden45
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Postby golden45 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm

I also have had these problems I installed the mesa packages from synaptic repositories mesa -mesa utilities-mesa extra-mesa va-and mesa vdau.It helped me .Thanks john

tekkaman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Postby tekkaman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm

paul1149 wrote:
tekkaman wrote:Hello
The weird thing is that the hard drive is only months old and Gsmart reports no bad sectors. Right now the laptop boots but I do get the Ata errors sometimes.

I would check and clean the sata connections to the drive. Then run a long self-test with GSC, and maybe a conveyance test, after backing up any data you need to preserve. There could be bad sectors that haven't yet been reported to Smart. Or it could be a stray electrical problem that doesn't show up. You could also fsck the partitions.

I have run both the short and long tests and it shows no errors. And I verified the cables. Do you guys thing it's a hard drive issue or a video issue ? I'm honestly not sure since I can watch offline videos fine with Kodi and SMplayer.

paul1149
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#17 Postby paul1149 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am

tekkaman wrote: It just randomly happens when watching videos. I've tried Palemoon, Firefox, Cyberfox but I keep having the same issue.

tekkaman wrote:Do you guys thing it's a hard drive issue or a video issue

Tricky one, from my perspective. If you can't find an obvious answer you could try changing things one at a time. Have you tried a chromium-based browser, like chromium itself or vivaldi? Also, while watching videos, keep Task Manager open and monitor what's going on regarding cpu, and ram and swap partition use.

It could be bad ram as well. Pull the ram and clean the contacts. A pencil eraser works well, but blow the dust off; or use contact cleaner. Then test. If problem persists, I think there's an entry in the grub menu for memtest. If not you can download MT to a bootable CD. It should be run for an couple of hours, min.

And you can take an image of your drive and clone it to a different hard drive. If you use clonezilla, either the new drive will have to be at least as large as the present one, or you can do partition images and install grub separately.

tekkaman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Postby tekkaman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Update:
Today I had the booting problem again stating that it couldn´t write outside hd 0. I turned it off and then on again and then I was able to boot with no error messages this time. Usually when this starts to happen it keeps happening more frequently until I it can´t boot anymore. Then I have to reinstall the OS again.

I´m getting errors in the log in Gsmart. However, still no bad sectors reported anywhere. I already replugged the hard drive. Do you guys think there might be a chipset compatibility issue ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Postby Mauser » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm

tekkaman Did you encrypt the home folder on that drive?

Return to “MX Help”