-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

New Theme, tailored for MX-17

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: New Theme, tailored for MX-17

#11 Post by Eadwine Rose » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 am

richb wrote:Visited Vlissengen years ago. (I think I got the spelling right). That must not be very far from you Eadwine.
Indeed, not that far away from where I live, about 65ish kms how the bird flies, roughly a 50min drive.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.111 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 am

paulxfce wrote:MX-distro seems to have the more experienced linux-users as its base. The choice of app's are a give-away at that point.
And I guess giving it a distinct look and feel is not of its first priorities. As I said, I am a themer.

So this pops the question: Why does MX not have its own theme?...
I will take a shot at that. We are all volunteers with varying skills and backgrounds and real jobs. The art team integrated what was available with some modifications for example a couple of themes with larger title bars for hdpi screens. Bottom line why there is no MX specific theme, it never came up, not a priority and I am doubtful that we have anyone with the expertise to do so. Others may have differnet opinions.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by Jerry3904 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 am

I think that's right, Rich: it hasn't been a priority because we're focused on ease, speed and functionality. For which users and reviewers give us high marks.
MX-distro seems to have the more experienced linux-users as its base. The choice of app's are a give-away at that point.
Not really. The majority of our users are just using it, but we have it set to also accommodate more experienced users and more complicated needs. And that's the business model: make it so you can raise the hood, but not so that you have to raise the hood.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by Paul.. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 am

paulxfce wrote:Why does MX not have its own theme?...
The dev team is driven by ideas + expertise + free time. An idea without expertise usually doesn't go anywhere...and...expertise without an idea...well, same deal...nothing happens. Sometimes even idea + expertise without free time...then nothing happens, too. Life and jobs often intervene.

I like the idea of having our own theme, but do we have the expertise and the time? Now you've arrived with an idea and expertise...so maybe the gravitational pull of your question/idea + expertise will cause us all on dev team to make enough time.

I'd like to see something happen.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to MX, paulxfce.

Daily: MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 8G
Test: Thinkpad T431s | Intel i5-3437U | Intel 3rd gen Graphics | 4G

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by asqwerth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 am

It's great that you're interested enough to start a conversation on these topics. Here are my replies or thoughts on the matter as an everyday user.
paulxfce wrote: Well, I'm not really a fan of the Whisker Menu. Allthough it is handy, it looks awful. And theming is a nightmare, because there are several versions of it. MX-17 uses an older version (1.7.5), which takes GTK2 to draw its shape. While the latest version (2.1.5) takes GTK3. ...

Right now XFCE is in the process of converting its various bits and parts to gtk3 versions. But from reading posts on the Manjaro forum (I use Manjaro XFCE as well), you can't really mix and match the gtk2 version with gtk3 Whisker menu. It won't work. You either start with the XFCE-gtk3 base (a fair bit is ready) and then you can have the gtk3 Whisker, or you stick with the gtk2 version until the whole of the XFCE DE can be converted altogether.

As a matter of comparison, I have a Manjaro XFCE install that's been rolling for 3+years on my PC. It's still on the full gtk2 version of XFCE even though bits of the gtk3 version are ready. I'm guessing the gtk3 version won't be pushed to Manjaro Stable Repo users until it's more or less complete.

...As I mentioned before, I'm normally a gnome-themer...MX-17 is a mixed bag, in that it mixes GTK2-apps, GTK3-apps and QT-apps and some other (unthemable) apps. So theming is a delicate balance to make them all look the same. It's no wonder there are so few new themes for XFCE...
I use Gnome 3 on Korora, but even there I still like and use a few gtk2 programs, like Geany. Unless you're a only-QT-apps distro (eg KaOS or Chakra) or all gtk3 (I think Solus tries), don't many distros have a bit of a mixed bag of apps? It's more pronounced in XFCE so I think the issue is the desktop environment, not so much the MX distro, as I've shown with Manjaro above.

As long as you use XFCE right now (and why not? It's fast, stable, resource efficient), you would probably need a versatile theme that can theme gtk2 and gtk3 apps and the XFCE window manager bar, like Greybird, Arc and Adapta. Further, MX17 has certain settings built into it so that Qt apps will follow the theming of the gtk theme in use at the moment. So your gtk2 and gtk3 themes should work with Qt apps in MX17, including MX's own tools.
..Theming for XFCE is new for me. I will have to digg a little deeper to understand Whisker's theming...So this pops the question: Why does MX not have its own theme?...
Well, so far none in the team have indicated interest or skill in that area. Are you volunteering your experiments in XFCE theming for MX? :number1:

I would be happy to give feedback!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

paulxfce
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Post by paulxfce » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:03 am

Has anybody tried this theme? Just, i'd like some feedback
MX-17 Horizon, Toshiba Sattelite, 500SSD, 16GB RAM,4 x Iintel(R)i3-2310M CPU @2.10GHz,
Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by asqwerth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 am

paulxfce wrote:Has anybody tried this theme? Just, i'd like some feedback
Yep. Using it now.

The WM theme has a lighter background square around the window shade button and left-side button, which is a little weird.
MX17-prodark.png
And the cursor highlight for file items in Thunar is blue, but is grey for the dropdown menu. Is that deliberate?
MX17-prodark2.png
Other than that it seems to work fine in gtk 2 and gtk 3 apps. I tried running gnome-sudoku, which is super-finicky about compatible gtk3 versions, and it didn't have issues. However my personal preference is for the Thunar file display area to have a slightly darker grey tinge so it's less bright on the eyes.

Final question: why is it called Pro-DARK? ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

1E1E1E
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Post by 1E1E1E » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm

asqwerth wrote:However my personal preference is for the Thunar file display area to have a slightly darker grey tinge so it's less bright on the eyes.
+1
asqwerth wrote:Final question: why is it called Pro-DARK? ;-)
Good question.

paulxfce
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#19 Post by paulxfce » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm

asqwerth wrote:
paulxfce wrote:Has anybody tried this theme? Just, i'd like some feedback
Yep. Using it now.

The WM theme has a lighter background square around the window shade button and left-side button, which is a little weird.

MX17-prodark.png

And the cursor highlight for file items in Thunar is blue, but is grey for the dropdown menu. Is that deliberate?

MX17-prodark2.png

Other than that it seems to work fine in gtk 2 and gtk 3 apps. I tried running gnome-sudoku, which is super-finicky about compatible gtk3 versions, and it didn't have issues. However my personal preference is for the Thunar file display area to have a slightly darker grey tinge so it's less bright on the eyes.

Final question: why is it called Pro-DARK? ;-)
Aah, yes, this is XFCE, which has more window-controlbuttons. I've only themed min,max,close-buttons. I'll need to adress that.

Next: this theme is a backport, not designed to be used with XFCE. Gnome on GTK_3.20+ is very theme-able, and thus allows for more in-dept-theming: GTK2-selected-color is blue, but I've a made a different choice for the menuitems, as in GTK3 (the theme is derived from the gnome-theme PRO-Dark), there are more ways to assign a selected-color. So, basically drop-down-menus are grey, other items use the standard-blue.

About the name (Pro-Dark): I have another gnome-theme called Gnome-PRO (which uses a lighter color for headerbar, menubar and titlebar), Pro-Dark is essentially the same, only darker and it uses dark headerbar-buttons, and the nautilus sidebar is dark.

Finally, about the display area of thunar. Funny that you prefer a darker background. Usually it is the other way around. I once designed a theme with a darker nautilus background-area and people start complaining about it. I guess, that is typical for the linux-user: never agree on something...
MX-17 Horizon, Toshiba Sattelite, 500SSD, 16GB RAM,4 x Iintel(R)i3-2310M CPU @2.10GHz,

paulxfce
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#20 Post by paulxfce » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:19 pm

I've added all the window-controlbuttons in a new version (Pro-Dark-1.1)

This is available in the first post of this thread.

So please try again, and see if it is to your liking

Also, If you want the full experience, this theme is a collaboration between the theme and the adapted compton.conf-settings and the font I've provided.

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”