Review "MX Linux MX-17 Horizon - Shaping up beautifully" by Dedoimedo

malspa

Re: Review "MX Linux MX-17 Horizon - Shaping up beautifully" by Dedoimedo

#11 Post by malspa »

I very much enjoyed reading that review! Dedoimedo doesn't like the vertical, left-side panel, but I hope MX stays with it, as that's what I prefer for my laptops. Also I like that it's another thing that kinda sets MX apart from all the others.

I like reading Dedoimedo's reviews, even though I often see things differently than he does. Off the top of my head, I don't remember a more positive review by him of any other Linux release, but I may be forgetting.

It struck me that there are several things Dedoimedo didn't mention that are big deals to me, things that I don't see in other distros. I'm sure most here could say something similar.

Excellent job, folks, everyone who helped with this release!

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

He liked some of the Ubuntu 17.04 releases, I think, but 17.10 versions went backwards for him. Maybe even worse if he finds out if it was a 17.10 test that nuked his Lenovo BIOS back in October...apparently even a Live test could do it.

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

malspa wrote:I very much enjoyed reading that review! Dedoimedo doesn't like the vertical, left-side panel, but I hope MX stays with it, as that's what I prefer for my laptops. Also I like that it's another thing that kinda sets MX apart from all the others.

I like reading Dedoimedo's reviews, even though I often see things differently than he does. Off the top of my head, I don't remember a more positive review by him of any other Linux release, but I may be forgetting.

It struck me that there are several things Dedoimedo didn't mention that are big deals to me, things that I don't see in other distros. I'm sure most here could say something similar.

Excellent job, folks, everyone who helped with this release!

Agreed about the left panel. Considering MX works well with older hardware like netbooks that have small displays, it makes sense to have the panel on the left so that more of the height of the screen can be used for viewing.

Great review. I don't know why he finds the installer daunting, though. When I first started with Mepis long ago, I always thought the installer was well laid out and had good instructions and tips on the left pane. Seemed to make a lot of sense to me as a newbie compared with some other installers. To me, it's Anaconda or the opensuse installer that are scary.

[ADDED] Can I say that I agree with him on the space separators in the panel? :p I always remove the ones between the notification area and the first launcher after that.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

Those spacers can easily be removed next cycle--they are holdovers from the very first MX version, meaning I am probably the one who put them in (for reasons I no longer remember, or maybe it was just an accident).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

The Featherpad developer let me know that the problem Ddo complained about should be fixed with the next release coming up shortly:
Yes, that's already fixed. It was a side effect of some new features. V0.7 will be released next week.
Does anyone else have a problem with its default font? That's easy to change, anyway.

whell

#16 Post by whell »

Congrats to the developers for the excellent review.

Return to “General”