Distrowatch MX-17 review

Adrian
Developer

Re: Distrowatch MX-17 review

#11 Post by Adrian »

This is a great review. A nice present for the new year.

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

Jerry3904 wrote:
asqwerth wrote:Also, the review gives the impression that apart from things like browsers and kernels (which he called "key components"), the applications in MX repos are all "old' or rather, Debian Stable packages.
I've gone through his package list and their versions, with these results:

--3 packages with difference in major numbers (13%)
--5 packages with difference in minor numbers, excluding kernel (21%)
--2 significant errors by DW (qt, gtk+)

If the first is correct, then we might want to look at those: python, mesa, gcc
I have to admit I wasn't looking at the DW list of packages. I was just thinking about the programs and apps in the MX repo that can't be found in Debian, or those that are newer than the versions in Debian repos.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

I was just trying to see what he was basing his opinion on, and that was the only thing I could come up with. Posted the errors on DW.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

malspa

#14 Post by malspa »

I was actually just looking at and comparing the results of the dpkg -l command from my Stretch (Xfce) installation (updated through today) and from the MX-17 live session (downloaded a couple of weeks ago). Not sure if these files would be helpful or informative to anyone here... I got kinda bored with looking through them, myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

malspa

#15 Post by malspa »

Anyway, I thought it was a good and fair review.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#16 Post by chrispop99 »

A DW reader has just commented that he thought there should be USB images available for download. Perhaps this is something that should be considered?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#17 Post by dolphin_oracle »

chrispop99 wrote:A DW reader has just commented that he thought there should be USB images available for download. Perhaps this is something that should be considered?

Chris
what's the difference between a usb image and a hybird iso?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fanisatt

#18 Post by fanisatt »

There is always room for improvement....as long as there is a healthy "distro-mindset" !!
The speed of software developments in Linux today obviously varies from field to field.
Some "things" are running too much and some others are not !
...and somehow comes a big update one day and after that .... no boot...or no cute.....anymore !
This is what I mean with the word "distro-mindset"....
Therefore , I think that a serious and modern distribution should provide (as a matter of priority) strong balances and a general situation of harmony !!
Modernization is good and I like it but .... never at the expense of harmony and security.
I can see these good features here in MX-17 !!
I can't see in the above review any report about the nvidia-settings advanced tab.....
I had seen it (first time) in manjaro linux and after that I read about the 20-nvidia.conf and other details.... Anyway I could see video without screen flickering for first time in my 7-8 years linux life.....!!! (The same here !!)
It is a very serious matter for the everywhere troubled and disappointed nvidia users like me.
Sorry for my poor English....! I heavily use the google translator....
Best Regards !
Last edited by fanisatt on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#19 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Meh, I put my 2 cents in. Let's see if they publish it. It is the Emachine review/comment.

richb
Administrator

#20 Post by richb »

@fanisatt, Very thoughtful and well written piece. I totally agree with your comments. I would venture say that is the MX philosophy. Nothing is rushed for the sake of novelty. The release cycle has been a point release mid year and a new one at the end of the year. The final release has followed the Debian release cycle as we all know is certainly not rushed. In the interim the developers continue to modestly make improvements and the package team keeps applications up to date responding to requests and with their own initiative. The other key is that the dev team listens to users needs, and issues. I think the end result speaks for itself and most reviewers agree.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”