Qualified MX Guide

Distrowatch MX-17 review

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

azrielle

Re: Distrowatch MX-17 review

#2 Post by azrielle »

Nice and thorough. One of very few to mention, much less use, MX-PI, and the first to mention FBReader.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Pierre

#3 Post by Pierre »

and there is the usual & expected good / bad points. .
- it should give MX another spike in the DW chart, though.

"One of the few areas where I think MX loses out to the big, mainstream Linux distributions is in beginner friendliness".
- it's still a fairly beginner / friendliness Linux System - as far as I'm concerned, though.
:happy:

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

Also, the review gives the impression that apart from things like browsers and kernels (which he called "key components"), the applications in MX repos are all "old' or rather, Debian Stable packages.

Otherwise, it's a pretty positive review.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Very thorough and positive. I wish he had mentioned the manual where a beginner can learn about the concepts that he indicated made MX somewhat less beginner friendly.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

bwich12

#6 Post by bwich12 »

Pierre wrote:"One of the few areas where I think MX loses out to the big, mainstream Linux distributions is in beginner friendliness".
- it's still a fairly beginner / friendliness Linux System - as far as I'm concerned, though.
I've read the review as well and I agree with the reviewer.

There's beginners and then there's beginners. Somebody who's not an IT professional and has no experience whatsoever with Linux will probably not be able to set things up with MX. Case in point, my mother-in-law. She's 81, fairly computer-literate as these things go (meaning she is a low-wattage Office user, daily uses her browser, reads and answers her emails etc.) Some stuff she can install and set up on her own if it's simple but even such a basic thing as changing the default file save format in LO is beyond her.

I convinced her a while ago to try MX16 (as she was not happy about the way Windows 10 was portrayed in some of the media). With some trepidation she agreed. Her PC is now dual-boot and she can work with the new system but almost the slightest difference to what she is used to under Windows means a nervous email or even a phone call. She learns and she is willing to try things out but handing her the MX ISO file and tell her to install it on her PC... no way. We're talking light years here. And there are many like her, even younger people in their forties and fifties.

This is not so much a criticism of MX. Some systems are more user-friendly than others and having that choice is a good thing. It is more a reflection on what most people in the "real world" are able to do with their PCs if left to their own devices -- and how they view those machines they do not even begin to understand,

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

"Some of the MX utilities include a snapshot tool for making bootable ISO images of our system"

This is something special that many distros lack. At least it was mentioned.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#8 Post by chrispop99 »

richb wrote:Very thorough and positive. I wish he had mentioned the manual where a beginner can learn about the concepts that he indicated made MX somewhat less beginner friendly.
Agreed. I've just posted in the DW comments section my thanks to Jesse for the review, and to draw attention to the suitability of the manual for beginners.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

+1
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

asqwerth wrote:Also, the review gives the impression that apart from things like browsers and kernels (which he called "key components"), the applications in MX repos are all "old' or rather, Debian Stable packages.
I've gone through his package list and their versions, with these results:

--3 packages with difference in major numbers (13%)
--5 packages with difference in minor numbers, excluding kernel (21%)
--2 significant errors by DW (qt, gtk+)

If the first is correct, then we might want to look at those: python, mesa, gcc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”