-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Quick question: MX17 persistence files under NTFS read/write?

Help for Current Versions of MX
bwich12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Quick question: MX17 persistence files under NTFS read/write?

#1 Post by bwich12 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:05 pm

I have not followed the MX17 release very closely as I have too many things already on my plate and MX16 works well enough. There's one thing that I tried to find out but didn't succeed. Root persistence in MX16 does not work correctly when the rootfs file is located on an NTFS volume. This has been no big deal for me, as I use MX16 mostly off USB sticks with a 16GB FAT32 boot partition and an encrypted NTFS partition. However, I am now planning to move some of my machines to a HD-based setup and those HD partitions are all NTFS-formatted. So will a live MX17 system with root persistence work in this scenario?

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Quick question: MX17 persistence files under NTFS read/write?

#2 Post by skidoo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:27 pm

"So will a live MX17 system with root persistence work in this scenario?"

Back in October when I read this:
http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php? ... ce#p424063
I had the impression that your earlier input helped to spur the improved functionality added for MX17.

Test drive MX17 & assess whether the persistence tools now suit your intended use.
If so, we can ask how to "backport" (or usable without alteration?) the newer persistence scripts, for use with MX16.

bwich12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by bwich12 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:15 am

skidoo wrote:Test drive MX17 & assess whether the persistence tools now suit your intended use.
Can't do that for a while, as I have other things in the pipeline.

I think I will postpone any MX17 activities until around mid-2018, as this has to be a full install. I assume that even if that matter has not yet been resolved it will be at some point. And waiting for (some of) the kinks to be ironed out is not such a bad idea anyway.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:31 am

I think this was fixed for antiX 17. I presume that those fixes made it to mx-17 (we use the antiX live system).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

bwich12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by bwich12 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:46 am

I *will* test this in due course and certainly will report back but don't hold your breath.

calinb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by calinb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:I think this was fixed for antiX 17. I presume that those fixes made it to mx-17 (we use the antiX live system).
It's working for me with MX-17 RC1 (dist-upgraded to current level). I have frugal root and home persistence (20GB each) booting live from an SD card slot. The computer is a new Windows 10 machine.

I'm studying the forums and your videos to try to figure out how to install my current live boot system to a dual boot hard disk without losing anything that I've installed and configured in MX. I need to dual boot only for tax return preparation software, or I'd just fully nuke and repave over Windows. I'm also concerned about migrating /home/demo to a new username / account.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by asqwerth » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:58 am

You could probably snapshot/clone your live USB setup to another iso/USB drive which you can use to install onto your dual boot machine?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

calinb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by calinb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:53 pm

asqwerth wrote:You could probably snapshot/clone your live USB setup to another iso/USB drive which you can use to install onto your dual boot machine?
Thanks! That sounds like the most straightforward process but I also need to study what happens in remastering a live USB. I seem to remember that I can just remaster, reboot (probably), and then click the installer on the live USB desktop. I agree that I should probably make and archive an .iso snapshot of the system before doing so regardless, to use as a backup method. In fact, I should be able to make the snapshot .iso and then mount it to check what's on it before committing to a method. I'd sure hate to lose everything that I've achieved since MX-17 RC1 that's in my two large (20 GB) live boot persistence files. I guess I could save those persistence files off from the Windows 10 side too--just in case. Having a variety of backup archives is cheap!

I need to re-watch some of dolphin_oracle's YouTube vids. There's a ton of information in them but I have to visit the local library to watch or download videos. I only have limited and expensive smartphone-tethered Internet bits at home.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by skidoo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:48 pm

I guess I could save those persistence files off from the Windows 10 side too--just in case
take care ~~ each savefile is "locked" https://github.com/BitJam/Persist-Scrip ... =vid&type= to only work with a particular linuxfs file.
During a remaster operation, a new "vid" keystring is generated and is embedded into the new linuxfs file.
Any savefiles which were created previously will be mismatched (will be unsuitable for use with the newly-remastered system).

calinb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by calinb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

skidoo wrote:
I guess I could save those persistence files off from the Windows 10 side too--just in case
take care ~~ each savefile is "locked" ...<snip>
Thanks, skidoo! I guess that backup / fallback strategy will not be useful so my fallback options (to protect against some kind of "disappointment" in the outcome of using my frugal / persistence/ live USB "Installer" icon or a snapshot .iso) would be to tar my live USB's persistent and mounted root and home contents.

My concern is that I've been using antiX and MX live USBs for close to year now and I'm often surprised with the results of various live creation and management operations. Usually it's due to my misunderstanding of how the live tools and process work. BitJam has been extremely helpful and I now have a few live systems running (from my ancient PIII laptop, now running shorewall firewall, to my latest quad core laptop running MX-17, which I now wish to install to the hard disk).

Return to “MX Help”