[Solved] New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

antixuser9

[Solved] New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#1 Post by antixuser9 »

Just want to say that this distro is exceptional; it's replaced Devuan (which was my old favorite). Simply outstanding. That being said, I have a few questions.

a) What is the command to open a terminal? I'd like to set it as keyboard shortcut, so I can easily access the terminal.
b) For some reason, my brightness resets each time I logout. Is there anyway to make my settings permanent?
c) Which programs have dependencies on the system? I'd like to remove the programs I don't use; but I'm afraid of breaking the OS.

Thank you! :happy:
Last edited by antixuser9 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

MOD: I deleted your duplicate post, assuming it was an error.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

Which version of antiX are you using and which windows manager?

a. There are already suggested keyboard shortcuts for each window manager in each one's keys file. Just uncomment (antiX uses lxterminal)

c. If you use apt-get purge foo, you get a good idea of what will be removed.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

antixuser9

#4 Post by antixuser9 »

Jerry3904 wrote:MOD: I deleted your duplicate post, assuming it was an error.
Thank you.
anticapitalista wrote:Which version of antiX are you using and which windows manager?

a. There are already suggested keyboard shortcuts for each window manager in each one's keys file. Just uncomment (antiX uses lxterminal)

I'm using 17 and iceWM. I'm having a hard time removing flash because I can't seem to find the command that runs it. Same with the following: streamlight, poor man's radio player (even though I know that the command is 'pmrp'), vim.tiny, winff (removed it but the icon still is there).

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

antixuser9 wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:MOD: I deleted your duplicate post, assuming it was an error.
Thank you.
anticapitalista wrote:Which version of antiX are you using and which windows manager?

I'm using 17 and iceWM. I'm having a hard time removing flash because I can't seem to find the command that runs it. Same with the following: streamlight, poor man's radio player (even though I know that the command is 'pmrp'), vim.tiny, winff (removed it but the icon still is there).
Flash is adobe-flashplayer. Just remove it with synaptic or apt.

Always use the package management tools when removing apps.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

antixuser9

#6 Post by antixuser9 »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Flash is adobe-flashplayer. Just remove it with synaptic or apt.

Always use the package management tools when removing apps.
Thank you. Do you know why my brightness settings reset after every reboot? my DE is xfce, so I could just install power manager I guess.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

xfce always resets to 100% brightness.

you might try the antix brightness app. That *might* be persistent. It is on a standard live antiX live-usb, but I'm not sure about what Xfce adds to the mix.

BitJam
Developer

#8 Post by BitJam »

Backlight brightness is persistent on the live-usb system but not after you've installed. I suggest you edit the file ~/.desktop-session/startup and add a line like this:

Code: Select all

backlight-brightness --set 50
That line will set the backlight brightness to 50% when the system starts (and maybe when you change window managers).

To use a keypress to open a terminal in IceWM, edit the file ~/.icewm/keys and uncomment or alter the line:

#key "F1" desktop-defaults-run -t
Then go the the desktop menu and choose "Desktop" --> "Other Desktops" --> "Rox-IceWM" to restart IceWM and now F1 will open up a terminal window.

BTW: when asking questions like these, you will automatically answer a lot of the questions people trying to help you might ask by posting the output of "inxi -F" inside of [ code ] ... [ /code ] tags (no spaces).
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

antixuser9

#9 Post by antixuser9 »

BitJam wrote:Backlight brightness is persistent on the live-usb system but not after you've installed. I suggest you edit the file ~/.desktop-session/startup and add a line like this:

backlight-brightness --set 50
That line will set the backlight brightness to 50% when the system starts (and maybe when you change window managers).

To use a keypress to open a terminal in IceWM, edit the file ~/.icewm/keys and uncomment or alter the line:

#key "F1" desktop-defaults-run -t
Then go the the desktop menu and choose "Desktop" --> "Other Desktops" --> "Rox-IceWM" to restart IceWM and now F1 will open up a terminal window.

BTW: when asking questions like these, you will automatically answer a lot of the questions people trying to help you might ask by posting the output of "inxi -F" inside of [ code ] ... [ /code ] tags (no spaces).
Wow, thanks! It worked! last question, how do I remove the two other WM I have?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

same thing, they have packages in the package manager. fluxbox and jwm.

although if you are looking to reclaim space, you won't reclaim much. they are super small.

Return to “antiX”