How to add new wallpapers? [Solved]  [Solved]

Any background image or other artwork submissions must include copyright information and explicit permission of the image's original creator to use the image. This includes a direct post of the image or links to a compiled image archive.
danielson

How to add new wallpapers? [Solved]

#1 Post by danielson »

Have tried to save or copy/paste .jpg images to wallpaper folder and it doesn't work or won't allow me to.
Last edited by danielson on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: How to add new wallpapers?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

danielson wrote:Have tried to save or copy/paste .jpg images to wallpaper folder and it doesn't work or won't allow me to.
you can put your wallpapers anywhere, and then navigate to the folder inside the the desktop settings app. or you can use the "set as wallpaper" right click action in thunar. In my screenshot, I'm using a totally different wallpaper folder.

If you want to use the default wallpaper folder (/usr/local/share/backgrounds/MX16/wallpaper/) you will need the be root level to do that, as that folder is outside your home folder.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

azrielle

#3 Post by azrielle »

You have to open an administrative instance of Thunar. Maybe two. It's annoying!
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Not really. If you don't want to keep them in your /home for some reason (I have them in /home/Pictures/wallpapers/), then:
  • launch Thunar
  • navigate to /usr/local/share/backgrounds/MX16/
  • right-click the wallpaper folder > Open root Thunar here
  • provide root password if needed
  • paste away
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

danielson

#5 Post by danielson »

Thanks a bunch guys!
You have been most helpful! :happy:

zorzi

Re: How to add new wallpapers? [Solved]

#6 Post by zorzi »

Hello,

MX community wallpapers are great. It would be great to have the possibility to install them from a repo , or via the package manager. Would it be possible ?

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

Are you referring to those here: https://mxlinux.org/community-submitted-wallpaper ?

Right now, the official wallpapers of MX15 to 17 (some of which were also posted to the above location) can be found in packages that can be installed to your system.

See: viewtopic.php?p=434568#p434568

However, currently there is no package pulling together other community-submitted wallpapers into a collection. Good suggestion. We may consider this in the future.

For now, just download those you like from the community WP location. There are some recent great ones from Auro and ChrisUK.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

zorzi

#8 Post by zorzi »

Thanks for answering. I could easily install MX 16 Wallpapers (though it' easy to pick chosen wallpapers on the site).

Dearly.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

zorzi wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:12 am Thanks for answering. I could easily install MX 16 Wallpapers (though it' easy to pick chosen wallpapers on the site).

Dearly.

also, our thunar has a right-click action for setting any graphic you select as the current wallpaper.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

zorzi

Re: How to add new wallpapers? [Solved]  [Solved]

#10 Post by zorzi »

also, our thunar has a right-click action for setting any graphic you select as the current wallpaper.
Yes. May be useful sometimes. Thank you.

Return to “MX Art”